Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Epidemiology of uncontrolled hypertension in the United States.Circulation. 2005; 112: 1651-1662
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2012 update.Circulation. 2012; 125: e2-e220
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension—United States, 2003–2010.Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). 2013; 62: 351-355
- Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control rates in United States adults between 1988-1994 and 1999-2004.Hypertension. Nov 2008; 52: 818-827
- Effects of comprehensive lifestyle modification on blood pressure control: Main results of the PREMIER clinical trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2083-2093
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Effects of comprehensive lifestyle modification on diet, weight, physical fitness, and blood pressure control: 18-month results of a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 485-495
- A practice-based trial of blood pressure control in African Americans (TLC-Clinic): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2011; 12: 265
- The counseling african americans to control hypertension (caatch) trial: Baseline demographic, clinical, psychosocial, and behavioral characteristics.Implement Sci. 2011;
- The GoodNEWS (Genes, Nutrition, Exercise, Wellness, and Spiritual Growth) Trial: A community-based participatory research (CBPR) trial with African-American church congregations for reducing cardiovascular disease risk factors –recruitment, measurement, and randomization.Contemp Clin Trials. 2011; 32: 630-640
- The Faith, Activity, and Nutrition (FAN) Program: Design of a participatory research intervention to increase physical activity and improve dietary habits in African American churches.Contemp Clin Trials. 2010; 31: 323-335
- Weight, blood pressure, and dietary benefits after 12 months of a web-based nutrition education program (DASH for Health): Longitudinal observational study.J Med Internet Res. 2008; 10
- Comparative effectiveness of lifestyle interventions on cardiovascular risk factors among a Dutch overweight working population: A randomized controlled trial.BMC Public Health. 2011;
- The effectiveness of physical activity interventions in socio-economically disadvantaged communities: A systematic review.Prev Med. 2012; 54: 371-380
- Behavioral strategies for cardiovascular risk reduction in diverse and underserved racial/ethnic groups.Circulation. 2012; 125: 171-184
- Expanding the obesity research paradigm to reach African American communities.Prev Chronic Dis. 2007; 4
- Achieving healthy weight in African-American communities: Research perspectives and priorities.Obes Res. 2005; 13: 2037-2047
- Community Based Participatory Research: Assessing the Evidence. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2004
- The value and challenges of participatory research: Strengthening its practice.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 325-350
- Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: The intersection of science and practice to improve health equity.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: S40-S46
US Census Bureau. American Factfinder: US Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov. Accessed August 4, 2012.
Mississippi Department of Health. Vital Statistics Mississippi: Summary Statistics by City. 2007. http://msdh.ms.gov/phs/stat2007.htm. Accessed August 4, 2012.
- Utilizing mixed methods to measure the perception of community capacity in an academic-community partnership for a walking intervention.Health Promot Pract. 2012; 13: 788-796
- H.U.B City Steps: Methods and early findings from a community-based participatory research trial to reduce blood pressure among African Americans.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8
- Environmental perceptions and objective walking trail audits inform a community-based participatory research walking intervention.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9
- Does a 6-month pedometer intervention improve physical activity and health among vulnerable African Americans? A feasibility study.J Phys Act Health. 2010; 7: 224-231
- Fit for Life Steps: Results of a community walking intervention in the rural Mississippi Delta.Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2007; 1: 49-60
- Compliance and acceptability of maintaining a 6-month pedometer diary in a rural, African American community-based walking intervention.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: 475-482
- Social Networks and Social Support.in: Glanz K. Rimer B. Viswanath K. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 4th ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2008: 189-210
- Social networks and social support: Implications for natural helper and community-level interventions.Health Educ Q. 1985; 12: 65-80
- Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Determination in Human Behavior.Plenum Press, New York, NY1985
- Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being.Am Psychol. 2000; 55: 68-78
- The transtheoretical model of health behavior change.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 12: 38-48
- Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change.3rd edition. Guilford Press, New York, NY2013
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy Manual: A Clinical Research Guide for Therapists Treating Individuals With Alcohol Abuse and Dependence.(Project MATCH Monograph Series, Vol. 2. NIH Pub. No.94-3723) National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, MD1992
- Variations on theme: Motivational interviewing and its adaptations.in: Miller W.R. Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: Preparing people for change. Guilford Press, New York2002: 270-283
- Training in motivational interviewing: A systematic review.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009; 36: 101-109
Madson M, Landry A, Molaison E, Schumacher J, Yadrick K. Training MI interventionists across disciplines: A descriptive project. Motivational Interviewing: Theory, Research, Implementation and Practice. 2014. In press.
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the dietary approaches to stop hypertension (DASH) diet.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- ATS Statement: Guidelines for the six-minute walk test.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 111-117
- A qualitative systematic overview of the measurement properties of functional walk tests used in the cardiorespiratory domain.Chest. 2001; 119: 256-270
- Performance of a short tool to assess dietary intakes of fruits and vegetables, percentage energy from fat and fiber.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 1097-1105
National Cancer Institute. Multifactor screener: Scoring procedures. 2007. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/surveys/nhis/multifactor. Accessed August 4, 2012.
- Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the EM algorithm.J Royal Stat Soc. 1977; (Series B (Methodological),39(1):1-39)
- Race/ethnicity, income, major risk factors, and cardiovascular disease mortality.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 1417-1423
- Primary prevention of hypertension: Clinical and public health advisory from the National High Blood Pressure Education Program.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1882-1888
- Effects of a community-based healthy heart program on increasing healthy women's physical activity: A randomized controlled trial guided by Community-based Participatory Research (CBPR).BMC Public Health. Aug 2007;
- Evaluation of a community-based participatory physical activity promotion project: Effect on cardiovascular disease risk profiles of school employees.BMC Public Health. 2010;
- Effectiveness of a volunteer-delivered lifestyle modification program for reducing cardiovascular disease risk factors.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109: 82-86
- Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials.J Hypertens. 2006; 24: 215-233
- Overweight, obesity, and blood pressure: The effects of modest weight reduction.Obes Res. 2000; 8: 270-278
- European Society of Hypertension Working Group on Obesity Antihypertensive effects of weight loss: Myth or reality?.J Hypertens. 2010; 28: 637-643
- Influence of weight reduction on blood pressure: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Hypertension. 2003; 42: 878-884
- Community-based health intervention trials: An overview of methodological issues.Epidemiol Rev. 2002; 24: 72-79
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities Award no. R24MD002787. The views expressed are solely those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the US government.