Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Commerce. United States Census Bureau. How do we know? America's foreign born in the last 50 years. http://www.census.gov/how/infographics/foreign_born.html. Accessed September 5, 2013.
Humes K, Jones N, Ramirez R. Overview of race and Hispanic origin: 2010. 2010 Census Briefs. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf. Updated 2010. Accessed August 1, 2012.
ChildStats.gov. America's children: Key national indicators of well-being, 2013. Children of at least one foreign-born parent. http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/famsoc4.asp. Accessed September 6, 2013.
- Children in America's newcomer families.([research brief series]) Child Trends, Albany, NY2007
- Diverse Streams: Black African Migration to the United States.Migration Policy Institute, Washington, DC2012
Stratis Health. Culture care connection. Increasing the cultural competence of health care providers serving diverse populations. http://www.culturecareconnection.org/matters/diversity/somali.html. Accessed August, 1, 2012.
- Health of foreign-born people in the United States: A review.Health Place. 2008; 14: 623-635
- Obesity among US immigrant subgroups by duration of residence.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2860-2867
- Adolescent participation in preventive health behaviors, physical activity, and nutrition: Differences across immigrant generations for Asians and Latinos compared with whites.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 337-343
- Health disparities and children in immigrant families: A research agenda.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: S187-S195
- Ethnic/racial differences in weight-related concerns and behaviors among adolescent girls and boys: Findings from Project EAT.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 53: 963-974
- The weight of US residence among immigrants: A systematic review.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 271-280
- Disparities in obesity and overweight prevalence among US immigrant children and adolescents by generational status.J Community Health. 2009; 34: 271-281
- Food and weight-related patterns and behaviors of Hmong adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 936-941
- Diet-related disparities: Understanding the problem and accelerating solutions.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 610-615
- Generation and acculturation status are associated with dietary intake and body weight in Mexican American adolescents.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 298-305
- Assessing body image issues and body satisfaction/dissatisfaction among Hmong American children 9-18 years of age using mixed methodology.Body Image. 2010; 7: 341-348
- Differences in stature, BMI, and dietary practices between US born and newly immigrated Hmong children.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 69: 442-450
- Investigating dietary acculturation and intake among US-born and Thailand/Laos-born Hmong-American children aged 9-18 years.Public Health Nutr. 2011; : 1-10
- Association of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, acculturation, and environmental factors with risk of overweight among adolescents in California, 2003.Prev Chronic Dis. 2008; 5: A75
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2011.MMWR. 2012; 61: 1-168
Gutiérrez DG. US Department of the Interior. National Park Service. American Latinos and the making of the United States. A theme study. http://www.nps.gov/latino/latinothemestudy/immigration.htm. Accessed September 8, 2013.
- Dieting and disordered eating behaviors from adolescence to young adulthood: Findings from a 10-year longitudinal study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1004-1011
- Obesity, body dissatisfaction, and emotional well-being in early and late adolescence: Findings from the project EAT study.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 48: 373-378
- The link between body dissatisfaction and self-esteem in adolescents: Similarities across gender, age, weight status, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status.J Adolesc Health. 2010; 47: 290-296
- Body dissatisfaction from adolescence to young adulthood: Findings from a 10-year longitudinal study.Body Image. 2013; 10: 1-7
- Ethnic differences in perceptions of body satisfaction and body appearance among US schoolchildren: A cross-sectional study.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12 (2458-12-425): 425
- Television, disordered eating, and young women in Fiji: Negotiating body image and identity during rapid social change.Cult Med Psychiatry. 2004; 28: 533-559
- Acculturation and environmental change impacts dietary habits among adult Hmong.Appetite. 2009; 52: 173-183
- Family functioning: Associations with weight status, eating behaviors, and physical activity in adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 52: 351-357
- Secular trends in weight status and weight-related attitudes and behaviors in adolescents from 1999 to 2010.Prev Med. 2012; 54: 77-81
- Factors influencing food choices of adolescents: Findings from focus-group discussions with adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 929-937
- Ecological models of health behavior.in: Glanz K. Rimer B. Viswanath K. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 4th ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2008: 465-485
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- Development and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of older children and adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 336-340
- Validation of a youth/adolescent food frequency questionnaire.Prev Med. 1997; 26: 808-816
- Development and evaluation of a brief screener to estimate fast-food and beverage consumption among adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 730-734
- Principles of Nutritional Assessment.Oxford University Press, New York, NY1990
- 2000 CDC growth charts for the United States: Methods and development.Vital Health Stat 11. 2002; : 1-190
- Gender differences in body satisfaction.Obes Res. 1997; 5: 402-409
- Overweight status and eating patterns among adolescents: Where do youths stand in comparison with the Healthy People 2010 objectives?.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 844-851
- Effect of socioeconomic status on weight change patterns in adolescents.Prev Chronic Dis. 2009; 6: A19
- Classification and Regression Trees.Wadsworth International Group, Belmont, CA1984
- Design and Analysis of Group-Randomized Trials.Oxford University Press, New York, NY1998
- Adolescent obesity increases significantly in second and third generation US immigrants: The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.J Nutr. 1998; 128: 701-706
- Investigating health and diabetes perceptions among Hmong American children, 9-18 years of age.J Immigr Minor Health. 2011; 13: 470-477
- Lactose intolerance.Am Fam Physician. 2002; 65: 1845-1850
- Benefits of breakfast for children and adolescents: Update and recommendations for practitioners.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2009; 3: 86-103
- Steroid use among adolescents: Findings from Project EAT.J Adolesc Health. 2002; 30: 243-252
- Unpacking dietary acculturation among new Americans: Results from formative research with African refugees.J Immigr Minor Health. 2009; 11: 342-358
US Department of Commerce, United States Census Bureau. American community survey, summary file. http://www.census.gov/acs/www/data_documentation/summary_file/. Accessed January 20, 2013.
- Commentary: A social-ecological perspective on obesity among Latinos.Ethn Dis. 2011; 21: 467-472
- Systematic review of community-based childhood obesity prevention studies.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: e201-e210
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by grant no. R01HL084064 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute or the National Institutes of Health.