Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
- Economic causes and consequences of obesity.Annu Rev Public Health. 2005; 26: 239-257
- Effects of decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption on body weight in adolescents: A randomized, controlled pilot study.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 673-680
- Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 274-288
- Sweeteners and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: The role of sugar-sweetened beverages.Current Diabet Rep. 2012; 12: 195-203
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Consumption of added sugars is decreasing in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 726-734
- Trends in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among youth and adults in the United States: 1999-2010.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 180-188
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: A meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2477-2483
- Sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverage consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 1321-1327
- Drinking caloric beverages increases the risk of adverse cardiometabolic outcomes in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 954-959
- Consumption of fructose and high fructose corn syrup increase postprandial triglycerides, LDL-cholesterol, and apolipoprotein-B in young men and women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: E1596-E1605
- Sweetened beverage consumption, incident coronary heart disease, and biomarkers of risk in men.Circulation. 2012; 125 (S1731): 1735-1741
- Less-healthy eating behaviors have a greater association with a high level of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among rural adults than among urban adults.Food Nutr Res. 2011; 55
- Overweight and weight management.in: Dalton S Cultural Appropriateness of Weight Management Programs. Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, MD1997: 69-106
- Improving literacy about energy-related issues: The need for a better understanding of the concepts behind energy intake and expenditure among adolescents and their parents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 281-287
- Health literacy is associated with Healthy Eating Index scores and sugar-sweetened beverage intake: Findings from the rural Lower Mississippi Delta.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1012-1020
Porter Novelli Public Services. ConsumerStyles 2010 Methodology. Washington, DC: Deanne Weber; 2010.
- Consumption of sugar drinks in the United States, 2005-2008.NCHS Data Brief. 2011; : 1-8
- Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988-1994 to 1999-2004.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 372-381
- A regional food-frequency questionnaire for the US Mississippi Delta.Public Health Nutr. 2005; 8: 87-96
Yale Rudd Center for Food and Policy & Obesity. Organizations addressing sugar-sweetened beverages and taxes. http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=368. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Are current health behavioral change models helpful in guiding prevention of weight gain efforts?.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 23S-43S
- Nutrition knowledge and food intake.Appetite. 2000; 34: 269-275
- Nutrition knowledge and other determinants of food intake and lifestyle habits in children and young adolescents living in a rural area of Sicily, South Italy.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 1827-1836
- The effects of calorie information on food selection and intake.Int J Obes (Lond). 2012; 36: 1340-1345
- Calorie labeling and food choices: A first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w1110-w1121
- Purchasing behavior and calorie information at fast-food chains in New York City, 2007.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1457-1459
- Use of a Consumer Panel Survey for Public Health Communication Planning: An Evaluation of Survey Results.Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Section on Health Policy Statistics, New York, NY2002: 2120-2124
- Relative validity of a food frequency questionnaire used to assess food intake during a dietary intervention study.Nutr Cancer. 2008; 60: 603-611
- The beverage intake questionnaire: Determining initial validity and reliability.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1227-1232
- Development of a Brief Questionnaire to Assess Habitual Beverage Intake (BEVQ-15): Sugar-sweetened beverages and total beverage energy intake.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 840-849
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.