Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Family meal patterns: Associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 317-322
- Influences on adolescent eating patterns: The importance of family meals.J Adolesc Health. 2003; 32: 365-373
- Family meals during adolescence are associated with higher diet quality and healthful meal patterns during young adulthood.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1502-1510
- Family dinner and diet quality among older children and adolescents.Arch Fam Med. 2000; 9: 235-240
- Correlations between family meals and psychosocial well-being among adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 792-796
- Family dinner meal frequency and adolescent development: Relationships with developmental assets and high-risk behaviors.J Adolesc Health. 2006; 39: 337-345
- Family meals and disordered eating in adolescents: Longitudinal findings from Project EAT.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008; 162: 17-22
- Are family meal patterns associated with disordered eating behaviors among adolescents?.J Adolesc Health. 2004; 35: 350-359
- Examination of shared risk and protective factors for overweight and disordered eating among adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010; 164: 336-343
- Mothers and meals: The effects of mothers' meal planning and shopping motivations on children's participation in family meals.Appetite. 2010; 55: 623-628
- Family functioning: Associations with weight status, eating behaviors, and physical activity in adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 52: 351-357
- Examining the relationship between family meal frequency and individual dietary intake: Does family cohesion play a role?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 229-235
- Longitudinal associations between family dinner and adolescent perceptions of parent-child communication among racially diverse urban youth.J Fam Psychol. 2010; 24: 261-270
- Associations between watching TV during family meals and dietary intake among adolescents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 257-263
- Relationships between use of television during meals and children's food consumption patterns.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: E7
- Nutrition and body weights of Canadian children watching television and eating while watching television.Public Health Nutr. 2009; : 1-7
- Nutrition socialization experiences of children in the Head Start program.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 572-577
Rideout W, Roberts DF, Foehr UG. Generation M: Media in the lives of 8-18 year olds. http://kff.org/other/event/generation-m-media-in-the-lives-of/. Accessed November 4, 2013.
Lenhart A. Teens, smartphones & texting. http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2012/Teens-and-smartphones.aspx. Accessed November 4, 2013.
- Adolescent screen time and rules to limit screen time in the home.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 48: 379-385
- Parental influences on youth television viewing.J Pediatr. 2007; 151 (373.e1-4): 369-373
- Feeding a family in a recession: Food insecurity among Minnesota parents.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 520-526
- What's for dinner? Types of food served at family dinner differ across parent and family characteristics.Public Health Nutr. 2012; : 1-11
- Family meals: Associations with weight and eating behaviors among mothers and fathers.Appetite. 2012; 58: 1128-1135
Berge JM, Wall M, Larson N, Eisenberg ME, Loth KA, Neumark-Sztainer D. The unique and additive associations of family functioning and parenting practices with disordered eating behaviors in diverse adolescents [published online ahead of print November 30, 2012]. J Behav Med. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10865-012-9478-1.
- Guess who's cooking? The role of men in meal planning, shopping, and preparation in US families.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 995-1000
- Associations between maternal concern for healthful eating and maternal eating behaviors, home food availability, and adolescent eating behaviors.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 248-256
- Fast food for family meals: Relationships with parent and adolescent food intake, home food availability and weight status.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 16-23
- Development and validation of a screening instrument to assess the types and quality of foods served at home meals.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 10
- The McMaster Family Assessment Device: Reliability and validity.J Marital Fam Ther. 1985; 11: 345-356
- The McMaster model of family functioning: Observer and parental ratings in a nonclinical sample.Fam Process. 1995; 34: 337-347
- The impact of caring and connectedness on adolescent health and well-being.J Paediatr Child Health. 1993; 29: S3-S9
- Eat this, not that! Parental demographic correlates of food-related parenting practices.Appetite. 2012; 60C: 140-147
- Structural and interpersonal characteristics of family meals: Associations with adolescent body mass index and dietary patterns.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 816-822
- The McMaster Family Assessment Device.J Marital Fam Ther. 1983; 9: 171-180
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.3rd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillside, NJ1998
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Children, adolescents, and television.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 423-426
- Family meals: Perceptions of benefits and challenges among parents of 8- to 10-year-old children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 706-709
- Time scarcity and food choices: An overview.Appetite. 2006; 47: 196-204
- Trying to find the quickest way: Employed mothers' constructions of time for food.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 18-25
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This project was supported by award no. R01HL093247 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health.