World Health Organization. Obesity and overweight fact scheet. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/. Accessed August 29, 2013.
- Accelerometry: Providing an integrated, practical method for long-term, ambulatory monitoring of human movement.Physiol Meas. 2004; 25: R1-R20
- Dietary assessment methodology.in: Coulston A.M. Boushey C.J. Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease. 2nd ed. Academic Press, Boston, MA2008: 3-39
- Rationale and design of the Beltsville one-year dietary intake study.Am J Clin Nutr. 1984; 40: 1323-1326
- Recognition of dietary activity events using on-body sensors.Artif Intell Med. 2008; 42: 121-136
- Toward objective monitoring of ingestive behavior in free-living population.Obesity. 2009; 17: 1971-1975
- An intelligent food-intake monitoring system using wearable sensors.Proc Ninth Int Conf Wearable Implantable Body Sensor Networks. 2012; : 154-160
- On-body sensing solutions for automatic dietary monitoring.Pervasive Comput. 2009; 2: 62-70
- A new method for measuring meal intake in humans via automated wrist motion tracking.Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2012; 37: 205-215
- Slowing bite-rate reduces energy intake: An application of the bite counter device.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1231-1235
- Oral behavior from food intake until terminal swallow.Physiol Behav. 2007; 90: 172-179
- Natural bite sizes for common foods.J Dent Res. 1998; 77: 295
- Laboratory measurement of cumulative food intake in humans: Results on reliability.Appetite. 2006; 46: 57-62
- Eating behaviour and retro-nasal aroma release in normal-weight and overweight adults: A pilot study.Br J Nutr. 2011; 106: 297-306
- A power primer.Psych Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24): A resource for researchers, clinicians, and educators from the National Cancer Institute.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1134-1137
- The US Department of Agriculture Automated Multiple-Pass Method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 324-332
- Using Multivariate Statistics.5th ed. Allyn and Bacon, Boston, MA2007
- Evaluation of dietary assessment instruments against doubly labeled water, a biomarker of habitual energy intake.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 281: E891-E899
- Detecting periods of eating during free living by tracking wrist motion.IEEE J Biomed Health Informatics. 2013; (In press)
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST E. R. Muth and A. W. Hoover have formed Bite Technologies, a company to market and sell a bite-counting device. Clemson University has filed a US patent for intellectual property known as “The Weight Watch,” serial no. 61/144,203 with a filing date of January 13, 2009. Bite Technologies has licensed the method from Clemson University and has been funded by South Carolina Launch, a state organization that incubates startup companies associated with university intellectual property. All authors receive royalty payments from bite-counting device sales.
FUNDING/SUPPORT J. L. Scisco was supported by a Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation scholarship. Funding for some study materials was provided by a Clemson University Creative Inquiry grant . The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of the US Army or the Department of Defense. Any citations of commercial organizations and trade names in this report do not constitute an official Department of the Army endorsement of approval of the products or services of these organizations.