Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Humes KR, Jones NA, Ramirez RR. Overview of race and Hispanic origin: 2010, 2010 Census Briefs. 2011. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2012.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Fact sheet: Prevalence of diabetes among Hispanics in six U.S. geographic locations. 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/factsheets/hispanic.htm. Accessed September 2, 2012.
- Special considerations on the management of Latino patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Cur Med Res Opin. 2011; 27: 969-979
- Disparities in A1C levels between Hispanic and non-Hispanic white adults with diabetes: A meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 240-246
- Hemoglobin A1c levels in diagnosed and undiagnosed black, Hispanic, and white persons with diabetes: Results from NHANES 1999-2000.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15: 562-567
- Racial trends in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among US adolescents: 1988-2004.Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2011; 23: 279-286
- Beverage consumption among high school students—United States, 2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 778-780
- Correlates of dietary intake in youth with diabetes: Results from the SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 123-129
- Beverage patterns and trends among school-aged children in the US, 1989-2008.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 103
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: Epidemiologic evidence.Physiol Behav. 2010; 100: 47-54
- Consumption patterns of sugar-sweetened beverages in the United States.J Acad Nutr Dietet. 2013; 113: 43-53
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
- Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988-1994 to 1999-2004.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 372-381
- Does high sugar consumption exacerbate cardiometabolic risk factors and increase the risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease?.Food Nutr Res. 2012; 56
- Preventing cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes: A common agenda for the American Cancer Society, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Heart Association.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1999-2010
- Consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among adults with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 551-555
- Nutrition knowledge, food label use, and food intake patterns among Latinas with and without type 2 diabetes.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 960-967
- Translational research at community health centers: Challenges and successes in recruiting and retaining low-income Latino patients with type 2 diabetes into a randomized clinical trial.The Diabetes Educator. 2010; 36: 733-749
- Randomized trial of a literacy-sensitive, culturally tailored diabetes self-management intervention for low-income Latinos: Latinos en control.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 838-844
- Design and methods for a randomized clinical trial of a diabetes self-management intervention for low-income Latinos: Latinos en Control.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2009; 9: 81
- Maintaining a nutrient database in a changing marketplace: Keeping pace with changing food products—A research perspective.J Food Comp Anal. 2001; 14: 315-322
- Sources of variance in 24-hour dietary recall data: Implications for nutrition study design and interpretation.Am J Clin Nutr. 1979; 32: 2546-2549
- Source of variance in 24-hour dietary recall data: Implications for nutrition study design and interpretation. Carbohydrate sources, vitamins, and minerals.Am J Clin Nutr. 1983; 37: 986-995
- A comparison of selected nutrient intakes derived from three diet assessment methods used in a low-fat maintenance trial.Public Health Nutr. 1998; 1: 207-214
- Validation of a food frequency questionnaire for Hispanics.Prev Chron Dis. 2006; 3: A77
- Differences in the dietary intake habits by diabetes status for African American adults.Ethn Dis. 2010; 20: 99-105
- Acculturation and sociocultural influences on dietary intake and health status among Puerto Rican adults in Massachusetts.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 64-74
- Beverage consumption for a healthy life: Recommendations for the Mexican population.Salud Publ Mexico. 2008; 50 ([in Spanish]): 173-195
- Gender differences in eating behavior and body weight regulation.Health Psychol. 1991; 10: 133-142
- Simplified resting metabolic rate-predicting formulas for normal-sized and obese individuals.Obesity Res. 2005; 13: 1255-1262
- National trends in beverage consumption in children from birth to 5 years: Analysis of NHANES across three decades.Nutr J. 2012; 11: 92
- School children's consumption of lower-calorie flavored milk: A plate waste study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 132-136
- School meals: Types of foods offered to and consumed by children at lunch and breakfast.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S67-S78
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Grant R18-DK65985 and grants from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Novo Nordisk Pharmaceutical.