Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Vitamin D deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 266-281
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Estimation of total usual calcium and vitamin D intakes in the United States.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 817-822
- Vitamin D status and response to vitamin D3 in obese vs. non-obese African-American children.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 90-95
- Vitamin D intakes by children and adults in the United States differ among ethnic groups.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2478-2485
- The vitamin D status of Canadians relative to the 2011 Dietary Reference Intakes: An examination in children and adults with and without supplement use.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 128-135
- Vitamin D, obesity, and obesity-related chronic disease among ethnic minorities: A systematic review.Nutrition. 2011; 27: 868-879
- Decreased bioavailability of vitamin D in obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72: 690-693
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels among US children aged 1 to 11 years: Do children need more vitamin D?.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 1404-1410
National Center for Health Statistics. About the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/about_nhanes.htm. Accessed May 19, 2011.
National Center for Health Statistics. Demographic variables and sample weights 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/DEMO_D.htm. Accessed May 26, 2011.
- Obesity and Socioeconomic Status in Children and Adolescents: United States, 2005-2008.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2010
- Vitamin D: A millenium perspective.J Cell Biochem. 2003; 88: 296-307
- Influence of season and latitude on the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3: Exposure to winter sunlight in Boston and Edmonton will not promote vitamin D3 synthesis in human skin.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 67: 373-378
National Center for Health Statistics. Survey operations manuals, brochures, consent documents. 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/current_nhanes_05_06.htm.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC table for calculated body mass index values for selected heights and weights for ages 2 to 20. 2000. http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/00binaries/bmi-tables.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2010.
- The USDA Automated Multiple-Pass method accurately estimates group total energy and nutrient intake.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2594-2599
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Key concepts about NHANES dietary data collection. 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/tutorials/Dietary/SurveyOrientation/DietaryDataOverview/intro.htm. Accessed May 19, 2011.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/lab05_06.htm. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distribution.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1575-1587
National Cancer Institute. Usual dietary Intakes: SAS macros for analysis of a single dietary component. 2010. http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/diet/usualintakes/macros_single.html. Accessed November 1, 2011.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. NHANES 2005-2006 Diet behavior and nutrition documentation file. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_05_06/dbq_d.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- What We Eat in American NHANES 2005-2006: Usual Nutrient Intakes from Food and Water Compared to 1997 DRI's Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D, Calcium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium.US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Washington, DC2009
- Prevalence and correlates of vitamin D deficiency in US adults.Nutr Res. 2011; 31: 48-54
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. NHANES analytic guidelines. 2004. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_general_guidelines_june_04.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Vitamin D intake and serum vitamin D in ethnically diverse urban schoolchildren.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 2047-2053
- Estimation of optimal serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D for multiple health outcomes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 18-28
- Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 1911-1930
- Ethnic differences in food sources of vitamin D in adolescent American girls: The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Growth and Health Study.Nutr Res. 2011; 31: 579-585
- Beverage patterns and trends among school-aged children in the US, 1989-2008.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 103
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The study was sponsored by an unrestricted educational grant from Gerber. The corresponding author also received a US Department of Agriculture Doctoral Fellowship in Obesity no. DAG700. The authors have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose. None of the authors received an honorarium, grant, or other form of payment to produce this manuscript.