Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Impact of peer nutrition education on dietary behaviors and health outcomes among Latinos: A systematic literature review.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 208-225
- The Office of Minority Health. Appendix A. Standards for Maintaining, Collecting, and Presenting Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity. Federal Register.http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/information_and_regulatory_affairs/re_app-a-update.pdf(Published October 30, 1997. Accessed November 3, 2010)
- Household Food Security in the United States, 2007.in: Economic Research Report 66. US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2008: 11
- Food security in the Unites States: Key statistics and graphics.(Economic Research Service Web site)Published 2008. Accessed November 3, 2010)
- National Diabetes Statistics Fact Sheet: General Information and National Estimates on Diabetes in the Unites States, 2007.US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD2007
- Statistical facts sheet—Risk factors: Overweight and obesity—Statistics.(American Heart Association Web site)Accessed July 20, 2010)
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2002
- Language spoken and differences in health status, access to care, and receipt of preventive services among US Hispanics.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 2021-2028
- When nurses double as interpreters: A study of Spanish-speaking patients in a US primary care setting.Soc Sci Med. 2001; 52: 1343-1358
- Getting by: Underuse of interpreters by resident physicians.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 256-262
- What do non–English-speaking patients value in acute care? Cultural competency from the patient's perspective: A qualitative study.Ethnic Health. 2008; 13: 479-496
- Limited English proficiency is a barrier to receipt of advice about physical activity and diet among Hispanics with chronic diseases in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: S62-S67
- Healthy People 2010 Midcourse Review.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2006
- WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2006: Summary.Office of Research, Nutrition, and Analysis, Washington, DC2007
- Meeting the needs of Hispanic Americans: Challenges and opportunities for nutrition professionals.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1321
- Curanderismo.(American Cancer Society Web site)http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/curanderismo(Accessed July 19, 2010)
- Health communication in the Latino community: Issues and approaches.Annu Rev of Publ Health. 2009; 30: 227-251
- Building cultural bridges: Understanding ethnicity to improve acceptance of insulin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes.Ethn Dis. 2006; 16: 559-568
- Evaluation of a culturally sensitive healthful eating and activity program for Latinas [abstract].J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: S26-S27
- Culinary schools grow efforts to boost Hispanic enrollment. Restaurant News.Published June 25, 2007. Accessed November 3, 2010)
- Language: A crucial part of cultural competency.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 611-613
- English usage among Hispanics in the United States.(Pew Hispanic Center Web site)Published 2007. Accessed June 23, 2009)
- The language divide: The importance of training in the use of interpreters for outpatient practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 175-183
- Access to Spanish-speaking physicians in California: Supply, insurance, or both.J Am Board Fam Pract. 2004; 17: 165-172
- Physician language ability and cultural competence: An exploratory study of communication with Spanish-speaking patients.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 167-174
- Palliative care for Latino patients and their families: Whenever we prayed, she wept.JAMA. 2009; 301: 1047-1057
- Describing physician language fluency. Deconstructing medical spanish.JAMA. 2009; 301: 426-428
- Report on the American Dietetic Association/Commission on Dietetic Registration 2008 Needs Assessment.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1283-1293
- Building our future—Increasing diversity in the dietetics profession: A summary of the ADA diversity mentoring project.J Allied Health. 2002; 31: 177-183
- The profession of dietetics at a critical juncture: A report from the 2006 environmental scan for the American Dietetic Association.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: S44
- Diversity Philosophy Statement.(American Dietetic Association Web site)Accessed October 20, 2010)
- ADA Strategic Plan.(American Dietetic Association Web site)Accessed November 3, 2010)
- Update on minority recruitment and retention research project.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 888-890
- Building our Future: Toolkit for Mentoring Diverse Students for Dietetics Careers.(American Dietetic Association Web site)Accessed July 20, 2010)
Statement of Potential Conflict of Interest: The authors have no potential conflict of interest to disclose.
This article was written by Cynthia J. Heiss, PhD, RD, professor, Department of Health Professions, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO; Bruce Rengers, PhD, RD, associate professor, Department of Health Professions, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO; Claudia Fajardo-Lira, PhD, associate professor, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, California State University, Northridge; Samantha M. Henley, human nutrition and dietetics student, Department of Health Professions, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO; Mike Bizeau, PhD, associate professor, Department of Health Professions, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO; and Cynthia Dormer Gillette, PhD, RD, assistant professor, Department of Health Professions, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The cultural immersion experience and surveys being conducted by Metropolitan State College of Denver described in this manuscript are being funded by a US Department of Agriculture Higher Education Challenge Grant.