Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Health and sociodemographic factors associated with body weight and weight objectives for women: 2000 behavioral risk factor surveillance system.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2004; 13: 1019-1032
- Prevalence of attempting weight loss and strategies for controlling weight.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1353-1358
- One-year weight losses in the Look AHEAD study: Factors associated with success.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 713-722
- Weight loss of black, white, and Hispanic men and women in the Diabetes Prevention Program.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1413-1420
- Social influence and motivation to change health behaviors among Mexican-origin adults: Implications for diet and physical activity.Am J Health Promot. 2012; 26: 176-179
- Family support, diet, and exercise among older Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Educ. 2004; 30: 980-993
- Acculturation and physical activity among North Carolina Latina immigrants.Soc Sci Med. 2004; 59: 2509-2522
- Effect of teammates on changes in physical activity in a statewide campaign.Prev Med. 2010; 51: 45-49
- Social integration, social networks, social support, and health.in: Berkman L.F. Kawachi I. Social Epidemiology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2000: 137-173
- The spread of obesity in a large social network over 32 years.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 370-379
- Benefits of recruiting participants with friends and increasing social support for weight loss and maintenance.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999; 67: 132-138
- Involving support partners in obesity treatment.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2005; 73: 341-343
- A “family-based” approach to the treatment of obese type II diabetic patients.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991; 59: 156-162
- Behavioral approaches to the treatment of obesity.in: Bray G.A. Bouchou C. Handbook of Obesity. 2nd ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, NY2004: 147-167
- Self-efficacy in weight management.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991; 59: 739-744
- Self-efficacy and the stages of exercise behavior change.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1992; 63: 60-66
- The development of scales to measure social support for diet and exercise behaviors.Prev Med. 1987; 16: 825-836
- Physical activity as an index of heart attack risk in college alumni.Am J Epidemiol. 1978; 108: 161-175
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350
- Reduction in weight and cardiovascular disease risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes: One-year results of the look AHEAD trial.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1374-1383
- Acculturation, weight, and weight-related behaviors among Mexican Americans in the United States.Ethn Dis. 2007; 17: 643-649
- Immigration and weight gain: Mexican-American women's perspectives.J Immigr Minor Health. 2011; 13: 155-160
- Energy balance feasibility study for Latinas in Texas: A qualitative assessment.Prev Chronic Dis. 2007; 4: A98
- The influence of immigrant status and acculturation on the development of overweight in Latino families: A qualitative study.J Immigr Minor Health. 2008; 10: 497-505
- Family versus individually oriented intervention for weight loss in Mexican American women.Public Health Rep. 1992; 107: 549-555
- Trial of family and friend support for weight loss in African American adults.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1795-1804
- Puerto Rican families.in: McGoldrick M. Giordano J. Garcia-Preto N. Ethnicity & Family Therapy. The Guilford Press, New York, NY2005: 242-255
- Sage Publications, Thousands Oaks, CA2002 Counseling Latinos and La Familia: A Practical Guide.
- Weight loss in obese Mexican Americans treated for 1-year with orlistat and lifestyle modification.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 1486-1493
- A pilot weight control program for Hispanic women.J Am Diet Assoc. 1992; 92: 1270-1271
- Physical activity training for weight loss in Latinas: A controlled trial.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1994; 18: 476-482
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by the Weight Control & Diabetes Research Center at The Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI, and National Institutes of Health, Postdoctoral Fellowship (T32HL07613405).