Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Origins and evolution of the Western diet: Health implications for the 21st century.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 81: 341-354
- Changes in consumption of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the United States during the 20th century.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 950-962
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee.Circulation. 2006; 114: 82-96
- Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: The American Heart Association's strategic impact goal through 2020 and beyond.Circulation. 2010; 121: 586-613
- Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2747-2757
- Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 1998 to 2004.(Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service website)Accessed April 12, 2012)
- Towards establishing dietary reference intakes for eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 804S-819S
- Intakes of long-chain omega-3 fatty acid associated with reduced risk for death from coronary heart disease in healthy adults.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2008; 10: 503-509
- Associations of very high intakes of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids with biomarkers of chronic disease among the Yup'ik Eskimos.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 777-785
- Baking reduces prostaglandin, resolvin, and hydroxy-fatty acid content of farm-raised Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar).J Ag Food Chem. 2011; 59: 11278-11286
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and b-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Distribution, interconversion, and dose response of n-3 fatty acids.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 3: 1467S-1476S
- Incorporation of n-3 fatty acids into plasma lipid fractions, and erythrocyte membranes and platelets during dietary supplementation with fish, fish oil, and docosahexaenoic acid-rich oil in healthy young men.Lipids. 1997; 32: 697-705
- Subgram daily supplementation with docosahexaenoic acid protects low density lipoproteins from oxidation in healthy men.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 208: 467-472
- Retroconversion and metabolism of [13C]22:6n-3 in humans and rats after intake of a single dose of [13C]22:6n-3-triacylglycerols.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 64: 577-586
- Dietary intake of fish vs. formulations leads to higher plasma concentrations of n-3 fatty acids.Lipids. 2003; 38: 415-418
- Comparison of the effects of fish and fish oil capsules on the and free fatty acid content of blood cells and plasma phospholipids.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 1621-1625
- Enhanced incorporation on n-3 fatty acids from fish compared with fish oils.Lipids. 2006; 41: 1109-1114
- Circulating long chain w-3 fatty acids and incidence of congestive heart failure in older adults: The cardiovascular health study.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 160-170
- Effects of dietary fat and omega-3 fatty acid intake on urinary eicosanoids and sex hormone levels in postmenopausal women: A randomized controlled feeding trial.Nutr Cancer. 2011; 63: 930-939
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was funded by US Department of Agriculture grant nos. 5450-51000-048-00D and 1915-31000-003-00D; National Institutes of Health grant no. 2P20RR017699-09; and Cooke Aquaculture, Blacks Harbor, New Brunswick, Canada.