|1991||First formal strategic plan (“Achieving Competitive Advantage”) is implemented.|
|1992||The Nutrition Services Payment Systems Committee develops the term “medical nutrition therapy” (MNT).|
|1993||Academy submits proposal to American Medical Association Current Procedural Terminology Editorial Panel requesting unique codes for MNT coverage.|
|1994||Academy publishes its first joint position paper with the Dietitians of Canada.|
|1995||The Academy publishes its first position paper (regarding world hunger, malnutrition, and food insecurity) with implications beyond the Academy itself.|
|1996||Strategic plan is modified somewhat to focus on policy, member development, and public
The Councils on Practice, Research, and Education are dissolved in favor of establishing a Council on Professional Issues.
|1997||The Academy and Commission on Dietetic Registration jointly review the Code of Ethics and draft a revised code, called the Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics.|
|1998||The House of Delegates (HOD) adopts a formal approach to projecting future needs of
the Academy via its first environmental scan.
The HOD updates its process for developing Academy positions to ensure scientific integrity and improve efficiency in messaging.
|1999||Governance is restructured to increase collaboration between the Board of Directors
(BOD) and HOD and to give HOD more focus on governing the profession.
Strategic plan is updated to promote the value of Academy membership and increase the workplace visibility of registered dietitians (RDs) and dietetic technicians, registered (DTRs).
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) acknowledges RD-provided MNT as a means for improving outcomes and reducing costs.
Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics is adopted.
|2000||HOD adopts knowledge-based strategic governance model.
American Medical Association adds MNT-related Current Procedural Terminology codes after Medicare passes Medicare Part B MNT provision.
|2001||HOD adopts the issues management process for dealing with members' concerns.|
|2002||Medicare Part B for MNT coverage passes.|
|2003||Weight Management, the newest Dietetic Practice Group (DPG) to assemble, is formed.|
|2004||Strategic plan is updated to reflect the current health climate and emphasizes outcomes-based, quality care in moving the profession forward.|
|2005||Standards of practice (SOP) and standards of professional performance (SOPP) are revised.
Academy offers decision analysis tool for determining individual scope of practice.
Scope of dietetics practice framework is released.
The Academy publishes its first practice paper.
|2006||Phase 2 Future Practice and Education Task Force convenes for the first time.
The Academy publishes its first evidence-based position paper.
|2007||First official member interest group (LAHIDAN) is recognized by the Academy.
DPGs celebrate 30th anniversary.
|2008||Strategic plan is updated to highlight the impact members have on the health and nutrition
knowledge of the American public and to highlight customer focus, integrity, innovation,
and social responsibility as key values.
Council on Future Practice is established by the Phase 2 Future Practice and Education Task Force.
|2009||Council on Future Practice convenes second meeting, which marks the first time Commission
on Dietetic Registration (CDR) and the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition
and Dietetics (ACEND) have come together to address common goals.
Council on Future Practice launches Innovations Dietetics Practice and Education program at the Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE).
|2010||DPG delegates begin serving on the HOD.
A new Code of Ethics, wherein categories of principles are established, is implemented (following approval in 2009).
Academy launches its efforts to obtain Medicare reimbursement for obesity counseling.
Academy becomes member of the National Quality Forum.
DPGs enlisted to become more involved when legislative activity affects their respective focus areas of practice.
|2011||Council on Future Practice hosts high-tech 2011 Future Connections Summit on Dietetics
Practice, Credentialing, and Education.
Council on Future Practice publishes its Visioning Report, which includes the Dietetics Career Development Guide; updated definitions of levels of practice; and revised definitions of level of practice.
The Framework for Quality Dietetics Practice, which adheres to the IOM's six pillars of quality care, is published.
Academy initiates the update of the SOP and SOPP to clarify role delineations for RDs and DTRs.
The Academy submits a letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to formally disagree with its decision regarding reimbursement for obesity counseling.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Carry the Flame: The History of the American Dietetic Association. ADA, Chicago, IL1990
- ADA House and Board: Melding talents and enthusiasm.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 12
- Governance Task Force White Paper [unpublished].December 15, 1999
- Setting our strategic course.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 1500
- Board of Directors plans initiatives for future success.AORN J. January 2001; (Accessed March 29, 2012)
- Board of Directors.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- House of Delegates.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- Reengineering governance.(American Society for Association Executives website)Accessed March 16, 2012)
- Issues Management.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- Guidelines regarding the recommendation and sale of dietary supplements.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1158-1164
- The Academy's Strategic Plan.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- 2011 Future Connections Summit on Dietetics Practice, Credentialing, and Education: The summit at a glance.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1584-1589
- One little—but very important—word.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 909
- Looking to the future: The role of the ADA environmental scan.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 989-993
- Facing the future: ADA's 1998 environmental scan.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 347-350
- Key trends affecting the dietetics profession and the American Dietetic Association.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1819-1839
Pavlinac J. The role of the 2006 ADA environmental scan. 2007;107(7 suppl):S38.
Jarratt J, Mahaffie JB. The profession of dietetics at a critical juncture: A report on the 2006 environmental scan for the American Dietetic Association. 2007;107(7 suppl):S39–S57.
- Method Frameworks: The definition of strategic planning: A white paper.(July 9, 2010. Method Frameworks website)Accessed March 1, 2012)
- Principles of Strategic Management.in: Ashgate, London, UK2007: 358
- President's page: The fourth dimension.J Am Diet Assoc. 1994; 94: 1432
- How the new strategic plan works—for YOU.J Am Diet Assoc. 1992; 92: 1069-1072
- President's page: A strategic plan for “creating the future.”.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 78
- President's page: Strategic planning—The key to the future.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 613
- Planning for the millennium.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 787
- Leading the future of dietetics.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 420
- Strengthening ADA's identity.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 599
- A history of business ethics.(Santa Clara University website)http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/focusareas/business/conference/presentations/business-ethics-history.html(Accessed March 12, 2014)
- Ethics Education Toolkit.(Updated March 2012. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 28, 2012)
- Ethics: A word for all of us to live by.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 593
- Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 109-113
- Ethics in dietetics practice: Complicated issues for a complicated time.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 1348
- American Dietetic Association/Commission on Dietetic Registration Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics and Process for Consideration of Ethics Issues.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1461-1467
- Ethics in Action Columns.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 28, 2012)
- Ethics Opinions.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 28, 2012)
- Medical nutrition therapy: The core of ADA's advocacy efforts (part 1).J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 825-834
- The three Cs of MNT: Coverage, codes, and compensation.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 1140-1141
- Who's paying for nutrition services?.J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93: 1255
- The evolution of CPT—Current Procedural Terminology.Medical Laboratory Observer. October 2000; (Accessed March 28, 2012)
- President's page: Insurance coverage and reimbursement—Communicating in “code.”.J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93: 470
- The Role of Nutrition in Maintaining Health in the Nation's Elderly: Evaluating Coverage of Nutrition Services for the Medicare Population.in: National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000: 118-131
- The evidence for the effectiveness of medical nutrition therapy in diabetes management.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 608-613
- ADA joins national coding and provider classification projects.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 18
- Medical nutrition therapy: The core of ADA's advocacy efforts (part 2).J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 987-996
- American Dietetic Association Coding and Coverage Committee report: Registered dietitians as preferred providers for diabetes care.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 639-644
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics National Coverage Determination Formal Request.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 149-176
- President's page: Standards, guidelines, and indicators position dietitians for competitive advantage.J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93: 1173-1174
- Report brief: To err is human: Building a safer health system.(November 1999. Institute of Medicine website)http://www.iom.edu/%7E/media/Files/Report%20Files/1999/To-Err-is-Human/To%20Err%20is%20Human%201999%20%20report%20brief.ashx(Accessed March 1, 2012)
- Report brief: Quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. March 2001.(Institute of Medicine website)http://www.iom.edu/∼/media/Files/Report%20Files/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm/Quality%20Chasm%202001%20%20report%20brief.ashx(Accessed March 1, 2012)
- Three decades of Medicare: What the numbers tell us.Health Aff. 1995; 14: 231-243
- Outpatient therapy basics.(MedPac website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- Changing educational paradigms to prepare allied health professionals for the 21st century.Educ Health. 2002; 15: 37-49
- Final Report of the Phase 2 Future Practice and Education Task Force.ADA, Chicago, IL2008
- Council on Future Practice.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- President's page: Changes and transitions.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 288
- 2012 Innovative Medication Adherence Educators Challenge.(AACP website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- Academy Positions and Practice Papers.(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Accessed March 29, 2012)
- ADA positions: Science-based consumer messages.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 231-233