GONE ARE THE DAYS WHEN mentoring merely meant that an experienced staffer devoted significant time advising a newcomer to the field. Now, mentoring may be as brief as one quick encounter. Even more surprising, the encounter may be initiated by an executive seeking the expertise of a tech-savvy new hire. In fact, smart executives will make a point of interacting with new people for their mutual benefit. The executive gets a question answered and the newcomer, feeling valued and welcomed, has enjoyed a positive collaboration with an established colleague.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Everything Coaching and Mentoring Book.Adams Media Corporation, Avon, MA2003
- Mentoring for Success.(ASAE & the Center for Association Leadership website)Accessed March 28, 2009)
- How to have engaged employees.(Five O'Clock Club website)Accessed April 17, 2012)
- Best Practices: Mentoring.United States Office of Personnel Management, September 2008Accessed March 7, 2012)
- Flash mentoring—Tips for mentees.(Slideshare.net website)Accessed March 7, 2012)
- Federal Workplace Mentoring.(AskEarn.org website)Accessed March 7, 2012)
- Reverse mentoring cracks workplace.(The Wall Street Journal website)Accessed March 7, 2012)
- Flash Mentoring.(Flash Mentoring website)Accessed March 7, 2012)
- Mentoring 101: Building a mentoring relationship.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1002-1008
- Instant mentoring: Sharing wisdom and getting advice online with e-mentoring.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1148-1155
Published online: August 28, 2012
This article was written by Lynne Mangan, a freelance writer in Chicago, IL.
© 2012 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.