Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2010
- The high cost of not consuming fruits and vegetables.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1364-1368
- Greater consumption of sweetened beverages and added sugars is associated with obesity among US young adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 89: 372-381
- Creating healthy food and eating environments: Policy and environmental approaches.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 6.1-6.20
- The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents' diets: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 1761-1767
- perceived and objective measures of the local food store environment and the association with weight and diet among low-income women.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 1032-1038
- Food access and perceptions of the community and household food environment as correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among rural seniors.BMC Geriatr. 2010; 10: 32
- Association between proximity to and coverage of traditional fast-food restaurants and non-traditional fast-food outlets and fast-food consumption among rural adults.Int J Health Geogr. 2011; 10: 37
- Neighborhood socioeconomic deprivation and minority composition are associated with better potential spatial access to the food environment in a large rural area.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 620-627
- Neighborhood deprivation, vehicle ownership, and potential spatial access to a variety of fruits and vegetables in a large rural area in Texas.Int J Health Geogr. 2010; 9: 26
- Association between neighborhood need and spatial access to food stores and fast food restaurants in neighborhoods of colonias.Int J Health Geogr. 2009; 8: 9
- Food store types, availability and cost of foods in a rural environment.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1916-1923
- Neighborhood racial composition, neighborhood poverty, and the spatial accessibility of supermarkets in metropolitan Detroit.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 660-667
- Disparities in the availability of fruits and vegetables between racially segregated urban neighborhoods.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 1481-1489
- Availability and prices of foods across stores and neighborhoods: The case of New Haven, Connecticut.Health Affair. 2008; 27: 1381-1388
- Understanding barriers and facilitators of fruit and vegetable consumption among a diverse multi-ethnic population in the USA.Health Promot Int. 2008; 23: 42-51
- Neighborhood retail food environment and fruit and vegetable intake in a multiethnic urban population.Am J Health Promot. 2009; 23: 255-264
- Availability of commonly consumed and culturally specific fruits and vegetables in African-American and Latino neighborhoods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 746-752
- Pulga (flea market) contributions to the retail food environment of colonias in the South Texas border region.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 705-710
- Measuring potential access to food stores and food service places in rural areas in the US.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36: S151-S155
- Food access, availability, and affordability in 3 Los Angeles communities, Project CAFE, 2004-2006.Prev Chronic Dis. 2010; 7: 7
- Mobile food vending and the after-school food environment.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 70-73
- US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2010 Household Food Security in the United States, 2009.
- High body mass index for age among US children and adolescents, 2003-2006.JAMA. 2008; 299: 2401-2405
- Association of household and community characteristics with adult child food insecurity among Mexican-origin households in colonias along the Texas-Mexico border.Int J Equity Health. 2011; 10: 19
- Adiposity, biological markers of disease, and insulin resistance in Mexican American adolescents, 2004-2005.Prev Chronic Dis. 2011; 8: A40
- The Pew Hispanic Center.Accessed May 4, 2011)
- New Destinations: Mexican Immigration in the United States.Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY2006
- New Destination Dreaming: Immigration, Race, and Legal Status in the Rural American South.Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA2011
- Colonias and Public Policy in Texas and Mexico.University of Texas Press, Austin, TX1999
- The Colonias Reader: Economy, Housing and Public Health in US-Mexico.The University of Arizona Press, Tucson, AZ2010
- Food vending and acquisition in Texas border region Pulgas (flea markets) from both sides of the counter.JHEN. 2011; 6: 458-476
- Development of indicators to assess hunger.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1544-1548
- Validation of the Radimer/Cornell measures of hunger and food insecurity.J Nutr. 1995; 125: 2793-2801
- Duxbury Press, Pacific Grove, CA1998 Applied Regression Analysis and Other Multivariate Models.
- “I can say that we were healthy and unhealthy”: Food choice and the reinvention of tradition.Food Culture Soc. 2010; 13: 573-594
- It's all about the children: A participant-driven photo-elicitation of Mexican-origin mothers' food choices.BMC Women's Health. 2011; 11: 41
- Using direct observations on multiple occasions to measure household food availability among low-income Mexicano residents in Texas colonias.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 445
- The effect of the local food environment and social support on rural food insecurity.JHEN. 2006; 1: 83-101
- Food cost perceptions and food purchasing practices of uninsured, low-income, rural adults.JHEN. 2010; 5: 41-55
- Understanding the rural food environment—Perspectives of low-income parents.Rural Remote Health. 2011; 11: 1631
- Hungry in the heartland: Using community food systems as a strategy to reduce rural food deserts.JHEN. 2011; 6: 45-53
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported in part with funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH)/National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (#5P20MD002295) and by Cooperative Agreement #1U48DP001924 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Prevention Research Centers Program through Core Research Project and Special Interest Project Nutrition and Obesity Policy Research and Evaluation Network. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH and CDC.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.