Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Health effects of dietary risks in 195 countries, 1990–2017: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1958-1972
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed. Published 2015.https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/Date accessed: April 26, 2019
- Whole fruits and fruit fiber emerging health effects.Nutrients. 2018; 10
- Fruit polyphenols: A review of anti-inflammatory effects in humans.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2016; 56: 419-444
- The effects of polyphenols and other bioactives on human health.Food Funct. 2019; 10: 514-528
- Intrinsic and extrinsic factors impacting absorption, metabolism, and health effects of dietary carotenoids.Adv Nutr. 2018; 9: 465-492
- Fruit and vegetable consumption and the incidence of hypertension in three prospective cohort studies.Hypertension. 2016; 67: 288-293
- Food groups and risk of hypertension: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.Adv Nutr. 2017; 8: 793-803
- Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer and all-cause mortality—A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 1029-1056
- Food groups and risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and heart failure: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2019; 59: 1071-1090
- Food groups and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Eur J Epidemiol. 2017; 32: 363-375
- Fruit consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: Results from three prospective longitudinal cohort studies.BMJ. 2013; 347
- Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e005497
- National Cancer Institute. Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program. Updated October 31, 2019. Accessed December 28, 2019.
- A qualitative study of perceived barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income populations, North Carolina, 2011.Prev Chron Dis. 2013; 10: E34
- Barriers and facilitators for consumer adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: The HEALTH Study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1317-1331
- Understanding barriers and facilitators of fruit and vegetable consumption among a diverse multi-ethnic population in the USA.Health Promot Int. 2008; 23: 42-51
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Total diet approach to healthy eating.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 307-317
- Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. Updated August 20, 2019. Accessed December 29, 2019.
- Total fruit and vegetable consumption increases among consumers of frozen fruit and vegetables.Nutrition. 2018; 46: 115-121
- Canned vegetable and fruit consumption is associated with changes in nutrient intake and higher diet quality in children and adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 940-948
- Frequent canned food use is positively associated with nutrient-dense food group consumption and higher nutrient intakes in US children and adults.Nutrients. 2015; 7: 5586-5600
- Dried fruit consumption is associated with improved diet quality and reduced obesity in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2004.Nutr Res. 2011; 31: 460-467
- Socioeconomic gradient in consumption of whole fruit and 100% fruit juice among US children and adults.Nutr J. 2015; 14: 3
- Diet quality is positively associated with 100% fruit juice consumption in children and adults in the United States: NHANES 2003-2006.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 17
- Intake of 100% fruit juice is associated with improved diet quality of adults: NHANES 2013-2016 analysis.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 2513
- 2019. US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service.https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/index.htmlDate accessed: April 26, 2019
- Association of raisin consumption with nutrient intake, diet quality, and health risk factors in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2012.Food Nutr Res. 2017; 61: 1378567
- Within-person compensation for snack energy by US adults, NHANES 2007-2014.Am J Clin Nutr. 2019; 109: 1145-1153
- Update on NHANES dietary data: Focus on collection, release, analytical considerations, and uses to inform public policy.Adv Nutr. 2016; 7: 121-134
- Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. Published 2010.http://www.ars.usda.gov/nea/bhnrc/fsrgDate accessed: June 20, 2019
- Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. Published 2012. Accessed June 20, 2019.
- Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. Published 2014. Accessed June 20, 2019.
- Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. Published 2016. Accessed June 20, 2019.
- Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. Published 2018 Accessed June 20, 2019.
- US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Accessed June 20, 2019..https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md-bhnrc/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/food-surveys-research-group/docs/fped-overview/
- 21CFR101.12. US Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. Accessed June10, 2020..https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr%20=%20101.12Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
- Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute NCI. Accessed December 27, 2019.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Accessed December 26, 2019.
- 2020. Scientific Report of the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee: Advisory Report to the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of Health and Human Services. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Published July 2020. Accessed August 20, 2020.
- Energy Value of Foods: Basis and Derivation. Agriculture Handbook. No. 74.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC1973
- SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC2018
- Statistical methods for estimating usual intake of nutrients and foods: A review of the theory.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1640-1650
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Accessed June 10, 2020.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Published 2019. Accessed December 27, 2019.
- Sources of food group intakes among the US population, 2001-2002.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 804-814
- Common ways Americans are incorporating fruits and vegetables into their diet: Intake patterns by meal, source and form, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2010.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 2535-2539
- Trends in dietary carbohydrate, protein, and fat intake and diet quality among US adults, 1999-2016.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1178
- Effect of consumption of dried California Mission figs on lipid concentrations.Ann Nutr Metab. 2011; 58: 232-238
- The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal.Appetite. 2009; 52: 416-422
- The relationship between dietary energy density and energy intake.Physiol Behav. 2009; 97: 609-615
- Dietary energy density is associated with energy intake and weight status in US adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 1362-1368
- Dietary energy density and obesity: How consumption patterns differ by body weight status.Eur J Nutr. 2018; 57: 351-361
- Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and other biomarkers of chronic disease in US adults.Eur J Nutr. 2015; 54: 59-65
- Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in US adults.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 974-979
- Addressing current criticism regarding the value of self-report dietary data.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 2639-2645
- Estimating usual dietary intake from National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data Using the National Cancer Institute Method.Vital Health Stat 2. 2018; : 1-63
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST P. M. Kris-Etherton was the principal investigator on a grant funded by the INC International Nut & Dried Fruit Council and the California Dried Plum Board.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose. Analyses and manuscript preparation were performed as part of dissertation research supported by the Department of Nutritional Sciences at The Pennsylvania State University.