Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dietary sugars and body weight: Systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies.Br Med J. 2013; 346: e7492
- Added sugar intake and cardiovascular diseases mortality among us adults.JAMA Int Med. 2014; 174: 516-524
- Dietary sugars and cardiometabolic risk: Systematic review and meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials of the effects on blood pressure and lipids.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 65-79
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
World Health Organization. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010. World Health Organization website. http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd_report_full_en.pdf. Published April 2011. Accessed May 20, 2014.
US Department of Agriculture, Department of Health and Human Services. Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. 2015; Office of Disease Prevention and Helath Promotion website. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/. Published February 2015. Accessed March 15, 2015.
US Food and Drug Administration. Preliminary regulatory impact analysis of the proposed rules on: Food labeling: Revision of the nutrition and supplement facts labels. Food and Drug Administration website. http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm385663.htm. Published February 2014. Accessed March 15, 2015.
- The sweetening of the world's diet.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 1325-1332
- Consumption of added sugars is decreasing in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 726-734
- Turning point for US diets? Recessionary effects or behavioral shifts in foods purchased and consumed.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 609-616
- Liquid versus solid carbohydrate: Effects on food intake and body weight.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 794-800
- Does the consumption of caloric and non-caloric beverages with a meal affect energy intake?.Appetite. 2005; 44: 187-193
- Effects of food form on appetite and energy intake in lean and obese young adults.Int J Obes (Lond). 2007; 31: 1688-1695
- Trends in intakes and sources of solid fats and added sugars among U.S. children and adolescents: 1994-2010.Pediatr Obes. 2013; 8: 307-324
- Shifts in the recent distribution of energy intake among U.S. children aged 2-18 years reflect potential abatement of earlier declining trends.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 1291-1297
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Differences between current and original release of CSFII/DHKS 1994-96, 1998 dataset and documentation. http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12355000/pdf/csfii9498_documentationupdated.pdf#data_collection. Accessed July 17, 2013.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Sample Design, 1999-2006.Vital Health Stat. 2012; 2
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Sample Design, 2007-2010.Vital Health Stat. 2013; 2
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Sample Design, 2011-2014.Vital Health Stat. 2014; 2
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Nutrition Data Library. USDA National National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 26. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12089. Accessed July 17, 2013.
Bowman SA, Friday JE, Moshfegh AJ. MyPyramid Equivalents Database, 2.0 for USDA Survey Foods, 2003-2004: Documentation and User Guide 2008. http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/fsrg Published December 2008. Accessed July 17, 2013.
- Use of caloric and noncaloric sweeteners in US consumer packaged foods, 2005-2009.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1828-1834.e6
- High-fructose corn syrup: Is this what's for dinner?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 1722S-1732S
STATA [computer program]. Version 13. College Station, TX: StataCorp; 2013.
World Health Organization. Guideline: Sugars intake for adults and children. World Health Organization website. http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sugars_intake/en/. Published March 2015. Accessed June 2015.
- A randomized trial of sugar-sweetened beverages and adolescent body weight.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1407-1416
- A trial of sugar-free or sugar-sweetened beverages and body weight in children.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1397-1406
- Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004; 58: 1038-1045
Todd J. Economic Research Report 161. Changes in Eating Patterns and Diet Quality Among Working-Age Adults, 2005-2010. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err161.aspx. Published January 2014. Accessed March 15, 2015.
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1549-1555
- Exploring secular changes in the association between BMI and waist circumference in Mexican-origin and white women: A comparison of Mexico and the United States.Am J Hum Biol. 2014; 26: 627-634
- Consumption of added sugar among U.S. children and adolescents, 2005-2008.Adv Nutr. 2012; 3: 534
Ervin RB, Ogden CL. NCHS Data Brief 122. Consumption of added sugars among U.S. adults, 2005-2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db122.pdf. Published May 2013. Accessed March 2015.
- Trends in purchases and intake of foods and beverages containing caloric and low-calorie sweeteners over the last decade in the United States.Pediatr Obes. 2013; 8: 294-306
- Food-frequency questionnaires: A review of their design, validation and utilisation.Nutr Res Rev. 2004; 17: 5-22
- Misreporting in nutritional surveys: Methodological implications.Nutr Hosp. 2015; 31: 119-127
- Using biomarker data to adjust estimates of the distribution of usual intakes for misreporting: Application to energy intake in the US population.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108 (discussion 464): 455-464
- Low energy reporters vs others: A comparison of reported food intakes.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: 281-287
- Does energy intake underreporting involve all kinds of food or only specific food items? Results from the Fleurbaix Laventie Ville Sante (FLVS) study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 1500-1506
- Nutrition assessment in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 822-829
- The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation pledge: Calories sold from U.S. consumer packaged goods, 2007-2012.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 508-519
- An approach to monitor food and nutrition from “factory to fork.”.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 40-49
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding for this study comes from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (grants 67506, 68793, 70017, 71837), National Institutes of Health (R01DK098072), the Carolina Population Center (CPC) 5 R24 HD050924, and the CPC training grant T32 HD007168.