- Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007-2008.JAMA. 2010; 303: 242-249
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
Walmart launches major initiative to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable. http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2011/01/20/walmart-launches-major-initiative-to-make-food-healthier-healthier-food-more-affordable. Accessed October 19, 2013.
Better Business Bureau. Children's food and beverage advertising initiative. http://www.bbb.org/us/about-the-initiative/. Accessed October 19, 2013.
- Food companies' calorie-reduction pledges to improve U.S. diet.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 174-184
Institute of Medicine. Food marketing to children and youth: Threat or opportunity? http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2005/Food-Marketing-to-Children-and-Youth-Threat-or-Opportunity.aspx. Accessed October 19, 2013.
- Trends in food and beverage sources among US children and adolescents: 1989-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1683-1694
- Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added sugars among children and adolescents in the United States.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2010; 110: 1477-1484
- Food sources of energy and nutrients among children in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2006.Nutrients. 2013; 5: 283-301
- Major food sources of calories, added sugars, and saturated fat and their contribution to essential nutrient intakes in the U.S. diet: Data from the national health and nutrition examination survey (2003-2006).Nutr J. 2013; 12: 116
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Development of international criteria for a front of package food labelling system: The International Choices Programme.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011; 65: 1190-1200
- The Smart Choices front-of-package nutrition labeling program: Rationale and development of the nutrition criteria.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 1078S-1089S
Grocery Manufacturers Association and Food Marketing Institute. Facts up front. http://www.factsupfront.org. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Recent trends in ready-to-eat breakfast cereals in the US.Procedia Food Sci. 2013; 2: 20-26
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Dietary interview: Description file – food codes. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/search/datapage.aspx?Component=Dietary&CycleBeginYear=2009. Accessed July 10, 2014.
- Monitoring foods and nutrients sold and consumed in the United States: Dynamics and challenges.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 41-45 e4
- Understanding differences in self-reported expenditures between household scanner data and diary survey data: A comparison of Homescan and consumer expenditure survey.Rev Agric Econ. 2009; 31: 470-492
- On the Accuracy of the Nielsen Homescan Data.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2008
- Recording discrepancies in Nielsen Homescan data: Are they present and do they matter?.Quant Marketing Econ. 2010; 8: 2007-2039
- Harnack, LJ. Energy content of U.S. fast-food restaurant offerings.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 490-497
- Changes in the energy and sodium content of main entrees in the US chain restaurants from 2010 to 2011.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 209-219
Grocery Manufacturers Association. 2010 GMA Health and Wellness Survey. http://www.gmaonline.org/issues-policy/health-nutrition/providing-innovative-and-healthy-choices/product-reformulation/. Accessed November 5, 2013.
Food and Drug Administration. Trans fat now listed with saturated fat and cholesterol. http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/labelingnutrition/ucm274590.htm. Accessed November 12, 2013.
- Food reformulations to reduce trans fatty acids.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 2037-2039
- Front-of-pack nutrition label stimulates healthier product development: A quantitative analysis.Int J Behav Nutr Phy Act. 2010; 7: 65
- Effects of the Guiding Stars Program on ready-to-eat cereals with different nutritional attributes.Food Policy. 2013; 44: 100-107
- A survey of the reformulations of Australian child-oriented food products.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 836
Federal Trade Commission. A review of food marketing to children and adolescents. http://ftc.gov/os/2012/12/121221foodmarketingreport.pdf. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Turning point for US diets? Recessionary effects or behavioral shifts in foods purchased and consumed.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 609-616
- Building infrastructure to document the U.S. food stream.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 192-193
- Progress with a global branded food composition database.Food Chem. 2013; 140: 451-457
- Who participates in the household scanning panels?.Am J Agr Econ. 2011; 93: 226-240
Supplementary materials: Podcast available online at www.andjrnl.org/content/podcast
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (grant nos. 67506 , 68793 , 70017 , and 71837 ); National Institutes of Health (grant no. R01 DK098072 ); and the Carolina Population Center (grant no. 5 R24 HD050924 ).