Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Canadian Council of Food and Nutrition. Tracking Nutrition Trends VII, 2008. http://www.cfdr.ca/Downloads/CCFN-docs/C1180—TNT-VII-FINAL-REPORT—full-report–Sept-1.aspx. Accessed February 10, 2014.
Statistics Canada. Survey of household spending, 2010. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/120425/dq120425a-eng.htm. Accessed February 10, 2014.
Statistics Canada. Regional differences in obesity, 2006. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/060822/dq060822b-eng.htm. February 10, 2014.
- Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2008.JAMA. 2010; 303: 235-241
- Association between eating patterns and obesity in a free-living U.S. adult population.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 85-92
Lin B, Guthrie J, Frazão E. Nutrient contribution of food away from home, 1999. http://www.ers.usda.gov/ersDownloadHandler.ashx?file=/media/91062/aib750l_1_.pdf. Accessed February 10, 2014.
US Food and Drug Administration. Backgrounder—Keystone forum on away-from-home foods: Opportunities for preventing weight gain and obesity report, 2013. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodScienceResearch/ConsumerBehaviorResearch/ucm082064.htm. Accessed February 10, 2014.
US Department of Agriculture. Table 10: Food away from home as a share of food expenditures. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-expenditures.aspx. Updated November 13, 2013. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Eating out? Chances are, it's fast food.Ottawa Citizen. 2013; Business & Technology: D4
- Differential associations of fast food and restaurant food consumption with 3-y change in body mass index: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 201-208
- Association between eating out of home and body weight.Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: 65-79
- Fast food restaurant use among women in the pound of prevention study: Dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates.Int J Obes. 2000; 24: 1353-1359
- Eating out of home and its association with dietary intake: A systematic review of the evidence.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 329-346
- Availability of nutrition information from chain restaurants in the United States.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 30: 266-268
- Purchasing behavior and calorie information at fast-food chains in New York City, 2007.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1457-1459
US Food and Drug Administration. Overview of FDA proposed labeling requirements for restaurants, similar retail food establishments and vending machines, 2013. http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm248732.htm. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Contextual influences on eating behaviours: Heuristic processing and dietary choices.Obes Res. 2012; 13: 766-779
- Reducing portion sizes to prevent obesity—A call to action.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 565-568
- Calorie labeling and food choices: A first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City.Health Aff. 2009; 28: w1110-w1121
- Impact of nutrition environmental interventions on point-of-purchase behavior in adults: A review.Prev Med. 2004; 39: S108-S136
World Health Organization. Population nutrient intake goals for preventing diet-related chronic diseases: Strengths of evidence, 2003. http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/5_population_nutrient/en/index.html#diet5.1.2. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Helping consumers make more healthful food choices: Consumer views on modifying food labels and providing point-of-purchase nutrition information at quick-service restaurants.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 157-163
- Consumers may not use or understand calorie labeling in restaurants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 917-920
- Fast and frugal food choices: Uncovering individual decision heuristics.Appetite. 2007; 49: 578-589
- Attacking the obesity epidemic: The potential health benefits of providing nutrition information in restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1669-1675
- Nutrition labeling and value size pricing at fast-food restaurants: A consumer perspective.Am J Health Promot. 2006; 20: 247-250
- Influence of scientific-technical literacy on consumers' behavioural intentions regarding new food.Appetite. 2013; 60: 193-202
- The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less.1st ed. HarperCollins Publishers, New York, NY2005
Larson N, Story M. Menu labeling: Does providing nutrition information at the point of purchase affect consumer behavior? 2009. http://healthyeatingresearch.org/research/menu-labeling-does-providing-nutrition-information-at-the-point-of-purchase-affect-consumer-behavior-a-research-synthesis/. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Calorie menu labeling on quick-service restaurant menus: An updated systematic review of the literature.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 135
- Front of Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2012
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. SIGN 50: A guideline developer's handbook. http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/50/index.html. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analysis.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- The influence of recipe modification and nutritional information on restaurant food acceptance and macronutrient intakes.Public Health Nutr. 2000; 3: 201-209
- Effects of calorie labeling and value size pricing on fast food meal choices: Results from an experimental trial.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 63
- Think Before You Eat: Calories and Exercise Equivalents Presented on Menus at Point-of-Choice.([doctoral dissertation]) Florida International University, Miami, FL2009
- Does calorie information promote lower calorie fast food choices among college students?.J Adolesc Health. 2009; 44: 84-86
- Nutrition labels decrease energy intake in adults consuming lunch in the laboratory.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1094-1097
- Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 312-318
- Promoting healthy choices: Information versus convenience.Am Econ J Appl Econ. 2010; : 164-178
- Influence of simplified nutrition labeling and taxation on laboratory energy intake in adults.Appetite. 2011; 57: 184-192
- The effects of calorie information on food selection and intake.Int J Obes (Lond). 2012; 36: 1340-1345
- Looking at the label and beyond: The effects of calorie labels, health consciousness, and demographics on caloric intake in restaurants.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 21
- Pilot study of a cafeteria program relying primarily on symbols to promote healthy eating choices.J Nutr Educ. 1996; 28: 282-285
- Menu labeling responsive to consumer concerns and shows promise for changing patron purchases.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2011; 6: 166-178
- Calorie posting in chain restaurants.Am Econ J Econ Policy. 2011; 3: 91-128
- The impact of menu labeling on fast-food purchases for children and parents.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 434-438
- Mandatory menu labeling in one fast-food chain in King County, Washington.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 122-127
- Child and adolescent fast-food choice and the influence of calorie labeling: A natural experiment.Int J Obes. 2011; 35: 493-500
- Is it time to rethink nutrition communications? A 5-year retrospective of American’s attitudes toward food, nutrition and health.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 14-23
- Consumer understanding and use of nutrition labeling: A systematic review.Public Health Nutr. 2005; 8: 21-28
- A test of different menu labeling presentations.Appetite. 2012; 59: 770-777
- Taking up space? How customers react to health information and health items on restaurant menus.J Foodserv Bus Res. 2009; 12: 344-363
- Eating out in Modern American Society: Why do People Make the Choice to Eat Outside the Home?.([Master’s thesis]) University of Vermont, Burlington, VT2009
- Eating Out: Social Differentiation, Consumption and Pleasure.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England2000
Stewart H, Blisard N, Jolliffe D. Let's eat out: Americans weigh taste, convenience, and nutrition, 2005. http://www.ers.usda.gov/ersDownloadHandler.ashx?file=/media/860870/eib19.pdf. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Providing calorie information on fast-food restaurant menu boards: Consumer views.Am J Health Promot. 2009; 24: 129-132
- Consumers' use of nutritional labels: A review of research studies and issues.Acad Mark Sci Rev. 2006; 2006: 1-22
- Constructing ‘healthy eating”/constructing self.in: Koc M. Sumner J. Winson T. Critical Perspectives in Food Studies. Oxford University Press Canada, Don Mills, Ontario, Canada2012: 136-151
- Food choice: A conceptual model of the process.Appetite. 1996; 26: 247-265
- Patient understanding of food labels: The role of literacy and numeracy.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 391-398
- Health literacy and public health: A systematic review and integration of definitions and models.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12
- A wake-up call for nutrition labeling.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 381-382
- Provincial Evaluation of the Eat Smart! Healthy Workplace Program Using Cafeteria Purchasing Records.([Master’s thesis]) McGill University, Montreal, Ontario, Canada2010
- Paradoxical effect of a nutrition labelling scheme in a student cafeteria.Nutr Res. 1995; 15: 1251-1261
- Restaurant menu labeling: Impact of nutrition information on entree sales and patron attitudes.Health Educ Q. 1990; 17: 157-167
- Purchase rates and energy content of nutritionally promoted and traditional fast foods purchased at lunchtime in Australia—A pilot study.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 495-502
- Improving patrons' meal selections through the use of point-of-selection nutrition labels.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2001-2005
- Changes in energy content of lunchtime purchases from fast food restaurants after introduction of calorie labelling: Cross-sectional customer surveys.BMJ. 2011; 343: 4464
- Development and evaluation of a labeling program for low-fat foods in a discount department store foodservice area.J Nutr Educ. 1997; 29: 159-161
- Point-of-purchase nutrition information influences food-purchasing behaviors of college students: A pilot study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; : 1222-1226
- Posting point-of-purchase nutrition information in university canteens does not influence meal choice and nutrient intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 562-570
- An intervention study targeting energy and nutrient intake in worksite cafeterias.Eat Behav. 2010; 11: 144-151
- Profitability and acceptability of fat- and sodium-modified hot entrees in a worksite cafeteria.J Am Diet Assoc. 1997; 97: 391-395
- Evaluation of a voluntary menu-labeling program in full-service restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 1035-1039
- Impact of point of selection nutrition information on meal choices at a table-service restaurant.J Foodserv Business Res. 2011; 14: 146-161
- Comparison of price change and health message interventions in promoting healthy food choices.Health Psychol. 2002; 21: 505-512
- Food choice in response to computer-generated nutrition information provided about meal selection in workplace restaurants.J Hum Nutr Diet. 1996; 9: 231-237
- A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 527-533
- Effect of different children's menu labeling designs on family purchases.Appetite. 2013; 62: 198-202
- Adolescent fast food and restaurant ordering behavior with and without calorie and fat content menu information.J Adolesc Health. 2005; 37: 397-402
- A multi-component intervention for modifying food selections in a worksite cafeteria.J Nutr Educ. 1987; 19: 277-280
- Effects of visual presentation of caloric values on food buying by normal and obese persons.Percept Mot Skills. 1976; 42: 155-162
- Changing food selection in a public cafeteria: An applied behavior analysis.Behav Mod. 1984; 8: 520-539
- Point-of-choice nutrition labelling: Evaluation in a worksite cafeteria.J Nutr Educ. 1986; 18: S65-S68
- Influencing food selection with point-of-choice nutrition information.J Nutr Educ. 1985; 17: 18-22
- A nutrition education program for restaurant patrons.J Nutr Educ. 1988; 20 (22B-22B)
- Fast-food consumption and obesity among Michigan adults.Prev Chronic Dis. 2011; 8: A71
- Using nutrition labeling as a potential tool for changing eating habits of university dining hall patrons.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 2071-2076
- What consumers don't know can hurt them: Consumer evaluations and disease risk perception of restaurant menu items.J Consum Aff. 2004; 38: 121-145
- Making healthful food choices: The influence of health claims and nutrition information on consumers' evaluations of packaged food products and restaurant menu items.J Marketing. 2003; 67: 19-34
- Potential effect of physical activity based menu labels on the calorie content of selected fast food meals.Appetite. 2013; 62: 173-181
- Coming to a restaurant near you? Potential consumer responses to nutrition information disclosure on menus.J Consum Res. 2009; 36: 494-503
Supplementary materials: PowerPoint presentation, Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7, and Tables 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 available at www.andjrnl.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada. Its contents are the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of Health Canada.