Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Health Indicators warehouse: Iron deficiency—Pregnant females. 2012. http://www.healthindicators.gov. Accessed April 21, 2014.
- Preconception hemoglobin and ferritin concentrations are associated with pregnancy outcome in a prospective cohort of Chinese women.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2586-2591
- Relation between maternal haemoglobin concentration and birth weight in different ethnic groups.BMJ. 1995; 310: 489-491
- High and low hemoglobin levels during pregnancy: Differential risks for preterm birth and small for gestational age.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 96: 741-748
- Anaemia during pregnancy as a risk factor for infant iron deficiency: Report from the Valencia Infant Anaemia Cohort (VIAC) study.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 1990; 4: 196-204
- Anaemia during pregnancy as a risk factor for iron-deficiency anaemia in infancy: A case-control study in Jordan.Int J Epidemiol. 1999; 28: 461-468
- Poorer behavioral and developmental outcome more than 10 years after treatment for iron deficiency in infancy.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: E51
- Reversal of developmental delays in iron-deficient anaemic infants treated with iron.Lancet. 1993; 341: 1-4
- Early childhood anemia and mild or moderate mental retardation.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 115-119
- Guideline: Daily Iron and Folic Acid Supplementation in Pregnant Women. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2012
Healthy People 2020: Topics & objectives. 2012. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/default.aspx. Accessed April 21, 2014.
- Iron: Deficiencies and requirements.Biomed Pharmacother. 2001; 55: 324-332
- Food insecurity is associated with iron deficiency anemia in US adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 1358-1371
- Household food insecurity is a risk factor for iron-deficiency anaemia in a multi-ethnic, low-income sample of infants and toddlers.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2120-2128
- Women's dietary intakes in the context of household food insecurity.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 672-679
- Nutritional and health consequences are associated with food insecurity among US elderly persons.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1503-1509
- Household food insecurity is associated with self-reported pregravid weight status, gestational weight gain, and pregnancy complications.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 692-701
- Iron deficiency anemia: Higher prevalence in Mexican American than in non-Hispanic white females in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72: 963-968
- Assessment of iron status in US pregnant women from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 1999-2006.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 1312-1320
- Assessing diet quality in a population of low-income pregnant women: A comparison between Native Americans and whites.Matern Child Health J. 2007; 11: 127-136
- Poverty and food intake in rural America: Diet quality is lower in food insecure adults in the Mississippi Delta.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1886-1894
- Race-ethnicity is related to biomarkers of iron and iodine status after adjusting for sociodemographic and lifestyle variables in NHANES 2003–2006.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 977S-985S
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2000. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes1999-2000/nhanes99_00.htm. Accessed April1, 2013.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001-2002. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2001-2002/nhanes01_02.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2004. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2003-2004/nhanes03_04.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2005-2006. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/nhanes05_06.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
NCHS Research Ethics Review Board (ERB) approval. 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/irba98.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- The USDA Automated Multiple-Pass Method accurately estimates group total energy and nutrient intake.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2594-2599
NHANES 2001-2002 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies: Dietary interview—Individual foods file (DRXIFF_B). 2010; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2001-2002/DRXIFF_B.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
NHANES 1999-2000 dietary supplement use—File 1: Supplement counts (past months) (DSQFILE1). 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes1999-2000/DSQFILE1.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
NHANES 2007-2008 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies: 30-Day dietary supplement use (DSQDOC_E). 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2007-2008/DSQDOC_E.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
2003-2004 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies: Ferritin and transferrin receptor (L06TFR_C). 2007. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2003-2004/L06TFR_C.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
NHANES 2009-2010 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies: Ferritin (FERTIN_F). 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2009-2010/FERTIN_F.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007-2008. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2007-2008/nhanes07_08.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- The quantitative assessment of body iron.Blood. 2003; 101: 3359-3364
- Serum transferrin receptor: A quantitative measure of tissue iron deficiency.Blood. 1990; 75: 1870-1876
- The clinical measurement of serum transferrin receptor.J Lab Clin Med. 1989; 114: 368-377
- Evaluation of an automated soluble transferrin receptor (sTfR) assay on the Roche Hitachi analyzer and its comparison to two ELISA assays.Clin Chim Acta. 2007; 382: 112-116
Second National Report on Biochemical Indicators of Diet and Nutrition in the U.S. Population 2012. 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/nutritionreport/report.html. Accessed May 12, 2014.
NHANES 2005-2006 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies: Food security. 2008. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/FSQ_D.htm. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- Effect of iron supplementation on serum ferritin levels during and after pregnancy.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1982; 89: 1011-1017
- Iron status markers and serum erythropoietin in 120 mothers and newborn infants. Effect of iron supplementation in normal pregnancy.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1994; 73: 200-204
- Influence of prenatal iron and zinc supplements on supplemental iron absorption, red blood cell iron incorporation, and iron status in pregnant Peruvian women.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 509-515
- Utilization of iron from an animal-based iron source is greater than that of ferrous sulfate in pregnant and nonpregnant women.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 2162-2166
- Absorption of Heme Iron.Semin Hematol. 1998; 35: 27-34
- Nonheme-iron absorption, fecal ferritin excretion, and blood indexes of iron status in women consuming controlled lactoovovegetarian diets for 8 wk.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 944-952
- Serum transferrin receptor for the detection of iron deficiency in pregnancy.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 1077-1081
- Serum transferrin receptor: A specific marker of iron deficiency in pregnancy.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 68: 1241-1246
- Dietary supplement use and folate status during pregnancy in the United States.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 486-492
- Systematic errors in middle-aged women's estimates of energy intake: Comparing three self-report measures to total energy expenditure from doubly labeled water.Ann Epidemiol. 2002; 12: 577-586
- Participant characteristics associated with errors in self-reported energy intake from the Women's Health Initiative food-frequency questionnaire.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 766-773
- Validity of U.S. Nutritional Surveillance: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Caloric Energy Intake Data, 1971–2010.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e76632
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was funded by the Department of Nutrition Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.