Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Vitamin D deficiency: What a pain it is.Mayo Clin Proc. 2003; 78: 1457-1459
- Relation of dietary intake and serum levels of vitamin D to progression of osteoarthritis of the knee among participants in the Framingham Study.Ann Intern Med. 1996; 125: 353-359
- Vitamin D status, bone mineral density, and the development of radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee: The Rotterdam Study.J Clin Rheumatol. 2009; 15: 230-237
- Association of vitamin D status with knee pain and radiographic knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001; 19: 1301-1306
- Association between serum vitamin D deficiently and knee osteoarthritis.Int Orthop. 2011; 35: 1627-1631
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, vitamin D intake, and joint symptoms in postmenopausal women.Maturitas. 2010; 68: 73-78
- Serum vitamin D levels and incident changes of radiographic hip osteoarthritis: A longitudinal study. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group.Arthritis Rheum. 1999; 42: 854-860
- Low levels of vitamin D and worsening of knee osteoarthritis: Results of two longitudinal studies.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 129-136
- Association of 25-hydroxyvtiamin D with the incidence of knee and hip osteoarthritis: A 22-year follow-up study.Scand J Rheumatol. 2012; 41: 124-131
- Are 25(OH) D levels related to the severity of knee osteoarthritis and function?.Med Princ Pract. 2012; 21: 74-78
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on progression of knee pain and cartilage volume loss in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2013; 309: 155-162
- Implementation of the Women's Health Initiative Study Design.Ann Epidemiol. 2003; 13: S5-S17
- Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: Principal results from the Women’s Health Initiative randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 321-333
- Effects of conjugated equine estrogen in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: The Women’s Health Initiative randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1701-1712
- Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast cancer: The Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial.JAMA. 2006; 295: 629-642
- The Women’s Health Initiative calcium-vitamin D trial: Overview and baseline characteristics of participants.Ann Epidemiol. 2003; 13: S98-S106
- Calcium and vitamin D supplementation and the risk of fractures.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 669-683
- Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 684-696
- Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 1604-1616
- Vitamin D and breast cancer: interpreting current evidence.Breast Cancer Res. 2011; 13: 217-224
- Validity of methods used to assess vitamin and mineral supplement use.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 643-649
- Evaluation of a simplified vitamin supplement inventory developed for the Women's Health Initiative.Public Health Nutr. 1999; 2: 273-276
- Measurement characteristics of the Women’s Health Initiative food frequency questionnaire.Ann Epidemiol. 1999; 9: 178-187
- Recreational physical activity and the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1331-1336
- Prevalence of severe hypovitaminosis D in patients with persistent, nonspecific musculoskeletal pain.Mayo Clin Proc. 2003; 78: 1463-1470
Singh S, Howell A, Cuzick J. Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine. Vit D levels among patients with arthralgia: Results from IBIS-II breast cancer prevention study [abstract 1068]. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, Fort Sam Houston, TX, December 14-17, 2006.
- Associations between vitamin D status and pain in older adults: The Invecchiare in Chianti study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 785-791
- Diffuse musculoskeletal pain is not associated with low vitamin D levels or improved by treatment with vitamin D.J Clin Rheumatol. 2008; 14: 12-16
- Vitamin D and aromatase inhibitor-induced muscoloskelatal symptoms (AIMSS): A phase II, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 129: 107-116
- Chapter 7: Vitamin D.Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fluoride. National Academies Press, Washington, DC1997
- The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: What clinicians need to know.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 53-58
- Dose response to vitamin D supplementation in postmenopausal women.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 425-437
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The WHI program is funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, through contracts N01WH22110, 24152, 32100-2, 32105-6, 32108-9, 32111-13, 32115, 32118-32119, 32122, 42107-26, 42129-32, and 44221.