Celiac patients face potential hazard as information on cosmetic ingredients difficult to find: Products used on lips and face can result in unexpected exposure to gluten [press release].
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Celiac patients face potential hazard as information on cosmetic ingredients difficult to find: Products used on lips and face can result in unexpected exposure to gluten [press release].http://d2j7fjepcxuj0a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011acg_Celiac-Cosmetics__FINAL-OCct-26.pdf(Published October 31, 2011. Accessed May 30, 2012)
- Gluten contamination of commercial oat products in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2021-2022
- Gluten contamination in the Canadian oat supply.Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A. 2011; 28: 705-710
- Commercial assays to assess gluten content of gluten-free foods: Why they are not created equal.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1682-1687
- Gluten contamination of grains, seeds, and flours in the United States: a pilot study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 937-940
- Cosmetic labeling guide: ingredient labeling.Updated May 4, 2012. Accessed May 30, 2012)
- FDA's gluten-free rulemaking—Implications for your clients with celiac disease [teleseminar].(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website)Published December 8, 2011. Accessed December 8, 2012)
- Federal Register proposed rule - 72 FR 2795 January 23, 2007: Food labeling; gluten-free labeling of foods.http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/FoodAllergensLabeling/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ucm077926.htm(Updated May 20, 2009. Accessed May 30, 2012)
- Personal care products: Do you need to worry about gluten.(Gluten Free Dietitian website)http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/personal-care-products-do-you-need-to-worry-about-gluten/(Published July 14, 2009. Accessed May 30, 2012)
This article was written by Tricia Thompson, MS, RD, founder, Gluten Free Watchdog, LLC, Manchester, MA, and Thomas Grace, CEO Bia Diagnostics, Burlington, VT.