Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition center: Healthy diet goals.(American Heart Association Web site)http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Healthy-Diet-Goals_UCM_310436_SubHomePage.jsp(Accessed January 18, 2011)
- Dietary Reference Intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids.(Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board Web site)http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx(Published Sept 2002. Updated July 2011. Accessed January 18, 2011.)
- Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease: A pooled analysis of cohort studies.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 370-376
- Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 748-765
- Relationship between cigarette smoking and novel risk factors for cardiovascular disease in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 891-897
- Whole grain intake and insulin sensitivity: The Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 965-971
- The relation of dietary patterns to future survival, health, and cardiovascular events in older adults.J Clin Epidemiol. 2003; 56: 1224-1235
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.Published December 2010. Accessed April 6. 2011)
- The nutrition source: Fiber, the bottom line: Choose a fiber-filled diet, rich in whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.(Harvard School of Public Health Web site)Accessed January 18, 2011)
- Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee.Circulation. 2006; 114: 82-96
- Adherence to healthy lifestyle habits in US adults, 1988-2006.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 528-534
- Dietary fiber intake and mortality in the NIH-AARP diet and health study.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1061-1068
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site)Updated October 28, 2011. Accessed April 13, 2011)
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Health implications of dietary fiber.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1716-1731
- Alternative methods of accounting for underreporting and overreporting when measuring dietary intake-obesity relations.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 15 (173): 448-458
- Trends in dietary fiber in the U.S. food supply; sales of grain products.(US Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion Web site)Accessed October 31, 2011)
- Effect of psyllium fiber supplementation on C-reactive protein: The trial to reduce inflammatory markers (TRIM).Ann Fam Med. 2008; 6: 100-106
- Healthy People 2010 focus areas at a glance.(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site)Updated October 12, 2011. Accessed April 13, 2011)
- Trends in dietary fiber in the U.S. food supply.(US Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion Web site)Published December 2007. Accessed September 20, 2011)
- Dietary fiber as a versatile food component: An industrial perspective.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005; 49: 421-535
- Nutrition and healthy eating: Whole grains: Hearty options for a healthy diet.(Mayo Clinic Web site)Published July 2009. Updated July 2011. Accessed April 12, 2011)
- Your guide to lowering your blood pressure with DASH: DASH Eating Plan.(National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Web site)Published 1998. Updated April 2006. Accessed April 12, 2011)
- The effect of dietary patterns on blood pressure control in hypertensive patients: Results from the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) trial.Am J Hypertens. 2000; 13: 949-955
- The potential impact of nonpharmacologic population-wide blood pressure reduction on coronary heart disease events: Pronounced benefits in African Americans and hypertensives.Prev Med. 2003; 37: 327-333
- Effect of a high-fiber diet vs a fiber-supplemented diet on C-reactive protein level.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 502-506
- Poor adherence to dietary guidelines among adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2008; 30: 815-822
- Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988-1994 to 1999-2004.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 372-381
Shay CM, Stamler J, Dyer AR, et al. Nutrient and food intakes of middle-aged adults at low risk of cardiovascular disease: The international study of macro-/micronutrients and blood pressure (INTERMAP) [published online ahead of print November 6, 2011]. Eur J Nutr. doi:10.1007/s00394-011-0268-2.
- Beverage patterns and trends among school-aged children in the US, 1989-2008.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 103
- Breakfast cereals, innovation and the dietary fiber crisis.(Food Manufacturing Web site)Accessed December 21, 2011)
- High fiber cereals make progress in taste but vary in nutritional value and price.http://healthnewsdigest.com/news/consumer%20issues0/High_Fiber_Cereals_That_Don_t_Taste_Like_Cardboard_printer.shtml(Published August 2009. Accessed October 27, 2011)
- Knowledge, barriers, and stage of change as correlates of fruit and vegetable consumption among urban and mostly immigrant black men.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1315-1322
- Intake of fat and fiber-rich foods according to socioeconomic status: The 11-year follow-up of the 1993 Pelotas (Brazil) birth cohort study.Cad Saude Publica. 2010; 26: 1904-1911
Lachat C, Nago E, Verstraeten R, et al. Eating out of home and its association with dietary intake: A systematic review of the evidence [published online ahead of print November 23, 2011]. Obes Rev. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00953.x.
- Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977-78 versus 1994-96: Changes and consequences.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 140-150
- Health benefits of oatmeal.(Love to Know Diet Web site)Accessed September 21, 2011)
- Total mortality risk in relation to use of less-common dietary supplements.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 1791-1800
Meets Learning Need Codes 2070, 3000, 3020, and 4000. To take the Continuing Professional Education quiz for this article, log in to www.eatright.org, click the “MyProfile” link under your name at the top of the homepage, select “Journal Quiz” from the menu on your myAcademy page, click “Journal Article Quiz” on the next page, and then click the “Additional Journal CPE Articles” button to view a list of available quizzes, from which you may select the quiz for this article.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.