Although a cholesterol-lowering effect of dietary fiber derived from gum arabic or apples has been demonstrated (
- Ross A.R.M.
- Eastwood M.A.
- Anderson J.A.
- Douglas D.M.W.
A study of the effects of gum arabic in humans.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1983; 37: 368-375
- Sharma R.D.
Hypocholesterolemic effect of gum acacia in men.
Nutr Res. 1985; 5: 1321-1326
- Mayne P.D.
- McGill A.R.
- Gormley T.R.
- Tomkin G.H.
- Julian T.R.
- O'Moore R.R.
The effects of apple fibre on diabetic control and plasma lipids.
Irish J Med Sci. 1982; 151: 36-41
(4)), little research exists that examines the potential cholesterol-lowering effects of combinations of these fibers. The purpose of this study was to determine the combined effect of fiber derived from apple pulp and gum arabic on blood cholesterol levels in men with mild hypercholesterolemia.
- Sable-Amplis R.
- Sicart R.
- Agid R.
Further studies on the cholesterol-lowering effect of apple in human Biochemical mechanisms involved.
Nutr Res. 1983; 3: 325-328
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A study of the effects of gum arabic in humans.Am J Clin Nutr. 1983; 37: 368-375
- Hypocholesterolemic effect of gum acacia in men.Nutr Res. 1985; 5: 1321-1326
- The effects of apple fibre on diabetic control and plasma lipids.Irish J Med Sci. 1982; 151: 36-41
- Further studies on the cholesterol-lowering effect of apple in human Biochemical mechanisms involved.Nutr Res. 1983; 3: 325-328
- Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol.Clin Chem. 1974; 20: 470-475
- Dextran sulfate-Mg2 precipitation procedure for quantitation of high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol.Clin Chem. 1982; 28: 1379-1382
- A peroxidase-coupled method for the colorimetric determination of serum triglycerides.Clin Chem. 1983; 29: 538-542
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of the preparative centrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Role of water-soluble dietary fiber in the management of elevated plasma cholesterol in healthy subjects.Am J Cardiol. 1992; 69: 433-439
- The effect of acacia gum and a water-soluble dietary fiber mixture on blood lipids in humans.J Am Coll Nutr. 1993; 12: 147-154
- Vitamin C and cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Nutr. 1992; 11: 107-125
- Serum cholesterol response to changes in the diet.Metabolism. 1965; 14: 747-787
© 1997 American Dietetic Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.