- Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2000.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1723-1727
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1549-1555
- Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999-2000.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1728-1732
Nord M, Andrews M, Carlson S. Household food security in the United States, 2004. Economic Research Report 11. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err11/err11.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2006.
- Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult-to-sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1559-1560
Bickel G, Nord M, Price C, Hamilton W, Cook J. Guide to measuring household food security, revised 2000. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsec/FILES/FSGuide.pdf. Accessed January 23, 2006.
- Children in food-insufficient, low-income families.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001; 155: 508-514
- Does hunger cause obesity?.Pediatrics. 1995; 95: 766-767
- Food insecurity is positively related to overweight in women.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1738-1745
- Do food stamps without nutrition education improve food intake patterns?.Top Clin Nutr. 2000; 15: 49-58
Rosso R. Characteristics of food stamp households: Fiscal year 2001. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/oane/MENU/Published/FSP/FILES/Participation/2001CharReport.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2006.
Annual update of the HHS poverty guidelines-HHS. Notice. Available at: http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fedreg/a050218c.html. Accessed February 23, 2006.
- Self-reported overweight and obesity are not associated with concern about enough food among adults in New York and Louisiana.Prev Med. 2004; 38: 175-181
- Self-reported concern about food security associated with obesity—Washington, 1995-1999.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003; 52: 840-842
- Food insufficiency and prevalence of overweight among adult women.Fam Econ Nutr Rev. 2003; 15: 55-57
- Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults.J Health Econ. 2004; 23: 839-862
- Nutrition and health outcomes associated with food insecurity and hunger.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 521S-524S
- Food insecurity is associated with increased risk of obesity in California women.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 1070-1074
- Choice of instrument influences relations between food insecurity and obesity in Latino women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1372-1378
- Food security and nutritional outcomes of preschool-age Mexican-American children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 924-929
- Household food insecurity and overweight status in young school children: Results from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 464-473
- Household food security and nutritional status of Hispanic children in the fifth grade.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 210-217
- Food insecurity affects school children’s academic performance, weight gain, and social skills.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2831-2839
- Low family income and food insufficiency in relation to overweight in US children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001; 155: 1161-1167
- Food insecurity among US children.Top Clin Nutr. 2005; 20: 313-320
Parker L. Obesity, food insecurity and the federal child nutrition programs: Understanding the linkages. Available at: http://www.frac.org/pdf/obesity05_paper.pdf. Accessed August 13, 2007.
- Poverty and obesity: The role of energy density and energy costs.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 6-16
- Relationship of hunger and food insecurity to food availability and consumption.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 1019-1024
- Understanding obesity and program participation in the context of poverty and food insecurity.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 2117-2118
- Economic determinants and dietary consequences of food insecurity in the United States.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 517S-520S
- Food insecurity in women.Top Clin Nutr. 2005; 20: 321-328
- The monthly food stamp cycle: shopping frequency and food intake decisions in an endogenous switching regression framework.Am J Agr Econ. 2000; 82: 200-213
- Weekly food servings and participation in social programs among low income families.Am J Public Health. 1990; 80: 1376-1378
- Socioeconomic and behavioural factors are predictors of food use in the National Food Stamp Program Survey.Br J Nutr. 2004; 92: 497-506
- Food insufficiency exists in the United States: Results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 419-426
- Assessment of household food security among food stamp recipient families in Maryland.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 790-795
- The dynamic determinants of food insufficiency. In: Andrews MS, Prell MA, eds. Second Food Security Measurement and Research Conference. Volume II: Papers.Food and Rural Economics Division, Economic Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2001
- Food insufficiency, family income, and health in US preschool and school-aged children.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 781-786
- Food stamps and dietary intake of low-income women in the rural South in the time of welfare reform.Top Clin Nutr. 2005; 20: 366-373
- The Food Stamp Program and food insufficiency.Am J Agr Econ. 2001; 83: 875-887
- Food stamps are associated with food security and dietary intake of inner-city preschoolers from Hartford, Connecticut.J Nutr. 2000; 130: 2711-2717
- Position of The American Dietetic Association: Domestic food and nutrition security.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1840-1847
- Measures of food insecurity/security.J Nutr Educ. 2001; 33: S49-S58
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Food and nutrition assistance programs: FANRP research funding opportunities. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/FoodNutritionAssistance/Funding/. Accessed March 24, 2006.
- Food stamp program participation is positively related to obesity in low income women.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 2225-2231
- Obesity in low-income communities: Prevalence, effects, a place to begin.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 34-37
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005.6th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2006 (Home and Garden Bulletin No. 232)