Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
World Health Organization technical report. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of excess weight gain and obesity. Report of a joint WHO/FAO expert consultation. WHO, Geneva. 2003;series 916. Available at: www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/who_fao_expert_report.pdf. Accessed November 4, 2005.
- Effects of fruit and vegetable consumption on plasma antioxidant concentrations and blood pressure.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1969-1974
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Fruits and vegetables increase plasma carotenoids and vitamins and decrease homocysteine in humans.J Nutr. 2000; 130: 1578-1583
- Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1233-1239
- Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72: 922-928
- Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease in US adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 93-99
- Fruit and vegetable consumption in the prevention of cancer.J Intern Med. 2001; 250: 280-290
- A prospective study of diet quality and mortality in women.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2109-2115
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease at suboptimal plasma concentrations of essential antioxidants.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 57: S787-S797
- Effects of dietary nutrients and food groups on bone loss from the proximal femur in men and women in the 7th and 8th decades of age.Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 418-428
- Vitamin C and the risk of developing inflammatory polyarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2004; 63: 843-847
- Relation between plasma ascorbic acid and mortality in men and women in EPIC-Norfolk prospective study.Lancet. 2001; 357: 657-663
- Relation of serum ascorbic acid to mortality among US adults.J Am Coll Nutr. 2001; 20: 255-263
- Trends in fruit and vegetable consumption among adults in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1014-1018
- Fruit and vegetable availability among ten European countries.Br J Nutr. 2000; 84: 549-556
- U.S. per capita food supply trends.FoodReview. 2002; 25: 2-15
- Consumption of vegetables, fruit and other plant foods in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohorts from 10 European countries.Public Health Nutr. 2002; 5: 1179-1196
- Why Americans eat what they do.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1118-1126
- Influences on food choice perceived to be important by nationally-representative samples of adults in the European Union.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997; 51: S8-S15
- Taste preferences and food intake.Annu Rev Nutr. 1997; 17: 237-253
- Energy density predicts preferences for fruit and vegetables in 4-year-old children.Appetite. 2003; 41: 97-98
- Energy-dense diets are associated with lower diet costs.Publ Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 21-27
- Replacing fats and sweets with vegetables and fruit—A question of cost.Am J Pub Health. 2004; 94: 1555-1559
- Socio-economic differences in fruit and vegetable consumption among Australian adolescents and adults.Publ Health Nutr. 2002; 5: 663-669
- The relationship between low income and household food expenditure patterns in Canada.Public Health Nutr. 2003; 6: 589-597
- Social determinants of dietary habits in Denmark.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55: 959-966
- Nutrition knowledge and food intake.Appetite. 2000; 34: 269-275
- The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents’ diets.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 1761-1767
- Socioeconomic determinants of health. The contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health.BMJ. 1997; 314: 1545-1549
- A systematic review of socio-economic differences in food habits in Europe.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: 706-714
- Do economic constraints encourage the selection of energy dense diets?.Appetite. 2003; 41: 315-322
- A cost constraint alone has adverse effects on food selection and nutrient density.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 3764-3771
- US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2005 (January. Available at: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dga. 2005. Accessed October 11, 2005.) Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. 6th ed.
- Lavoisier Tec & Doc, Paris, France1995 CIQUAL. Répertoire Général des Aliments. Table de composition. 2nd ed.
- Lavoisier Tec & Doc, Paris, France2001 Apports nutritionnels conseillés pour la population française. 3rd ed.
- Concept of a nutritious food.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 721-732
- Nutritional quality index of foods. AVI Publishing Co, Westport, CT1979
- Indexes of overall diet quality.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 785-791
- Food choices and diet costs.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 900-904
- The economics of obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: S265-S273
- The cost of subsistence.J Farm Econ. 1945; 27: 303-314
Darmon N, Ferguson E, Briend A. Marked changes to habitual dietary patterns are required to select a nutritionally adequate diet on a low food budget. J Nutr Ed Behav. In press.
- Revisions of USDA’s low-cost, moderate-cost, and liberate food plans.Fam Econ Nutr Rev. 2003; 15: 43-68
- Food group intake patterns and associated nutrient profiles of the US population.J Am Diet Assoc. 1991; 91: 1532-1537
- Linear and nonlinear programming to optimize the nutrient density of a population’s diet.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 75: 245-253
US Department of Agriculture. MyPyramid. Available at: http://www.mypyramid.gov. Accessed October 11, 2005.
- Is there a consumer backlash against the diet and health message?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 37-41
- The politics of food choice.in: Nestel M. Food Politics How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health. University of California Press, Ltd, Los Angeles, CA2002: 358-374
- Low-income consumers’ attitudes and behaviour towards access, availability and motivation to eat fruit and vegetables.Publ Health Nutr. 2003; 6: 159-168
- Les achats de fruits et légumes frais par les consommateurs français.Le Monde. 2004; (August 20)
- Palatability vs money.Appetite. 1995; 25: 43-49