Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Lactose intolerance.Am Fam Physician. 2002; 65 (1855-1856): 1845-1850
- Genetics and epidemiology of adult-type hypolactasia.Scan J Gastroenterol. 1994; 29 (202): 7-20
- Lactase Deficiency Study Group. Lactose intolerance and self-reported milk intolerance: Relationship with lactose maldigestion and nutrient intake.J Am Coll Nutr. 1998; 17: 631-636
- A comparison of symptoms after the consumption of milk or lactose-hydrolyzed milk by people with self-reported severe lactose intolerance.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1-4
- How much lactose is low lactose?.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 243-246
- Tolerance to small amounts of lactose in lactose maldigesters.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 64: 197-201
- Reduced intolerance symptoms from lactose consumed during a meal.Am J Clin Nutr. 1988; 47: 57-60
- Hydrogen excretion upon ingestion of dairy products in lactose-intolerant male subjects: Importance of the live flora.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55: 509-512
- Yogurt: An autodigesting source of lactose.N Engl J Med. 1984; 310: 1-3
- Lactose malabsorption from yogurt, pasteurized yogurt, sweet acidophilus milk, and cultured milk in lactase-deficient individuals.Am J Clin Nutr. 1984; 40: 1219-1223
- Comparative effects of exogenous lactase (β-galactosidase) preparations on in vivo lactose digestion.Dig Dis Sci. 1993; 38: 2022-2027
- Colonic adaptation to daily lactose feeding in lactose maldigesters reduces lactose intolerance.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 64: 232-236
- Improved clinical tolerance to chronic lactose ingestion in subjects with lactose intolerance: a placebo effect?.Gut. 1997; 41: 632-635
- Improved lactose digestion and intolerance among African-American adolescent girls fed a dairy-rich diet.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 524-528
- Tolerance to the daily ingestion of two cups of milk by individuals claiming lactose intolerance.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 1502-1506
- Kefir. Danone World Newsletter 1996;11:1-19.www.danonevitapole.com/extranet/vitapole/portail.nsf/ACCUEIL?OpenForm&Seq=1(Available at Accessed)Date: March 6, 2003.
- Lifeway kefir research reports.http://www.kefir.com/research/research_reports.html(Available at Accessed)Date: March 6, 2003.
- Enhancement of intestinal hydrolysis of lactose by microbial β-galactosidase (EC 22.214.171.124) of kefir.Br J Nutr. 1992; 67: 67-75
- Detection of malabsorption of low doses of carbohydrate: accuracy of various breath H2 criteria.Gastroenterology. 1993; 105: 1404-1410
- Incomplete absorption of the carbohydrate in all-purpose flour.N Engl J Med. 1981; 304: 891-892
- Lactose digestion from yogurt: influence of a meal and additional lactose.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 53: 1253-1258
- Fundamentals of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry.2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY1982
- The glycemic index: Methodology and clinical implications.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 846-854
- Basic and Clinical Biostatistics.2nd ed. Appleton and Lange, Norwalk, CT1994
- Gas metabolism in the large intestine.in: Human Colonic Bacteria: Role in Nutrition, Physiology, and Disease. CRC Press, Inc, Boca Raton, FL1995: 135-154
- Lactose digestion by yogurt β-galactosidase: Influence of pH and microbial cell integrity.Am J Clin Nutr. 1987; 45: 432-436
- Improvement of lactose digestion by humans following ingestion of unfermented acidophilus milk: Influence of bile sensitivity, lactose transport, and acid tolerance of Lactobacillus acidophilus.J Dairy Sci. 1997; 80: 1537-1545
- Lactose malabsorption as influenced by chocolate milk, skim milk, sucrose, whole milk, and lactic cultures.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 484-486
- Response of patients with irritable bowel syndrome and lactase deficiency using unfermented acidophilus milk.Am J Clin Nutr. 1983; 38: 257-263
- Relative efficiency of yogurt, sweet acidophilus milk, hydrolyzed-lactose milk, and a commercial lactase tablet in alleviating lactose maldigestion.Am J Clin Nutr. 1989; 49: 1233-1237
- A randomized trial of Lactobacillus acidophilus BG2FO4 to treat lactose intolerance.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 140-146
- Fructose absorption.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 58: S748-S753
- Absorption capacity of fructose in healthy adults. Comparison with sucrose and its constituent monosaccharides.Gut. 1986; 27: 1161-1168
- Digestion and absorption of fruit juice carbohydrates.J Am Coll Nutr. 1996; 15: S12-S17
☆This study was funded by a grant (solicited by S. Hertzler) from Lifeway Foods, Inc., 6431 West Oakton Avenue, Morton Grove, IL 60053. Lifeway Foods also supplied the kefir used in the study.