More than 15.7 million Americans, 123,000 younger than age 20, have diabetes mellitus (
(1)). Arkansas ranks fifth among the 50 states in the incidence of the disease (
(2)). Diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, once considered to be an adult form of the disease, is increasing in children and adolescents. Recent reports indicate that children with type 2 diabetes account for between 8% and 45% of new cases of diabetes, and almost every child with type 2 is overweight (
American Diabetes Association. Consensus Statement: Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents.
Diabetes Care. 2000; 22: 381-389
- Gardner S.G.
- Bingley P.J.
- Sawtell P.A.
- Weeks S.
- Gale E.
Rising incidence of insulin dependent diabetes in children ages under 5 years in the Oxford region Time trend analysis.
Br Med J. 1997; 315: 713-718
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Centers for Disease Control. National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 1998. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/facts98.htm. AccessedDate: June 17, 2001
- Centers for Disease Control. Behavioral Risk Surveillance Survey, 1998. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/brfss/. AccessedDate: June 17, 2001
- Diabetes Care. 2000; 22: 381-389
- Rising incidence of insulin dependent diabetes in children ages under 5 years in the Oxford region.Br Med J. 1997; 315: 713-718
- Metformin improves glycemic control in children with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 2000; 49: 175-178
American Diabetes Association. Implications of the diabetes control and complications trial. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:S25–S27.
- Blood glucose monitoring skills in children with type 1 diabetes.Clin Pediatr. 2000; 39: 351-357
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a diabetes education program for school personnel.Diabetes. 1999; 48: SA158
- Professional preparation of elementary teachers in Ohio.J Sch Health. 1999; 69: 17-28
American Diabetes Association. Position Statement: Care of children with diabetes in the school and day care setting. Diabetes Care. 2001; 24:S108–S112.
- Care of children with diabetes in the school and day care setting.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: S94-S97
- Evaluating children with diabetes and their parent's preparedness and involvement in diabetes care for the school.Diabetes. 2000; 49: A173
- American Diabetes Association Position Statement.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 109-118
- Taking diabetes to school.Diabetes Care and Education. 2000; 21: 16-17
© 2002 American Dietetic Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.