Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Vitamin A deficiency and attributable mortality among under-5-year-olds.Bull WHO. 1992; 70: 225-232
Beaton GH, Martorell R, Aronson KJ, Edmonston B, McCabe G, Ross AC, Harvey B. Effectiveness of vitamin A supplementation in the control of young child morbidity and mortality in developing countries. Geneva, Switzerland: Administrative Committee on Coordination—Sub-Committee on Nutrition (ACC/SCN); 1993. ACC/SCN State of the Art Series Nutrition Policy Discussion Paper, No. 13.
- Nutritional Blindness, Xerophthalmia and Keratomalacia. Oxford University Press, New York, NY1982
- Guidelines for the Development of a Simplified Dietary Assessment to Identify Groups at Risk for Inadequate Intake of Vitamin A. A Report of the International Vitamin A Consultative Group (IVACG). IVACG Secretariat, The Nutrition Foundation, Washington, DC1989
- Validating a simplified approach to the dietary assessment of vitamin A intake in preschool children.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1993; 47: 115-122
Th Ninuk SH, Dibley MJ, Serdula M, Sadjimin T, Kjolhede CL. A simple method to assess vitamin A intake: experience with a food frequency questionnaire for preschool children in rural Central Java, Indonesia. Paper presented at: XV IVACG Meeting; 1998; Tanzania.
- Simplified dietary assessment to detect vitamin-A deficiency.Nutr Res. 1994; 14: 325-336
- Vitamin A status of children in the urban slums of Karachi, Pakistan, assessed by clinical, dietary, and biochemical methods.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993; 48: 89-96
- Effect of season on vitamin A intake and validity of the simplified dietary assessment (SDA) method.Nutr Res. 1995; 15: 1613-1621
- A 210-μmol dose of vitamin A provides more prolonged impact on vitamin A status than 105 μmol among preschool children.J Nutr. 1994; 124: 1172-1178
- Village and household clustering of xerophthalmia and trachoma.Int J Epidemiol. 1988; 17: 865-869
- History of nightblindness.Am J Clin Nutr. 1980; 33: 887-891
- Clustering of xerophthalmia within households and villages.Int J Epidemiol. 1993; 22: 709-715
- Vitamin A Deficiency and Its Consequences. 3 ed. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland1995
- Simultaneous determination of α-tocopherol and retinol in plasma or red cells by high-pressure liquid chromatography.Am J Clin Nutr. 1979; 32: 2143-2149
- Penelitian Konsumsi Vitamin A Dalam Sataun Retinol Ekivalen. Jurusan Gizi Masyarakat Dan Sumberdaya Keluarga Fakultas Pertanian, Bogor, Indonesia1988
- Aceh Study Group. Nutritional and household risk factors for xerophthalmia in Aceh, Indonesia.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 53: 1460-1465
- A simplified food frequency method to assess relative vitamin-A populations of Indonesian mothers.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: S298-S299
- A Wllcoxon-type test for trend.Stat Med. 1985; 4: 87-90
Stata Reference Manual. Strata Cor p. 1997. Strata Statistical Software: Release 5.0. College Station, Tex: Stata Corporation.
- Statistical methods. 8th ed. Iowa State, Ames, Iowa1989
- Assessment of Vitamin A Nutritional Status of the US Population Based on Data Collected in the Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Life Sciences Research Office, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Bethesda, Md1985
Food and Nutrition Board. Recommended Dietary Allowances. 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1989.
- Serum levels of vitamin A and carotenoids as reflectors of nutritional status.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1984; 73: 1439-1444
- Reproducibility and validity of dietary patterns assessed with a food-frequency questionnaire.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 243-249
- Principles of Nutritional Assessment. Oxford, New York, NY1990
- Nutritional Epidemiology. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York, NY1998
- Reproducibility and validity of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire.Am J Epidemiol. 1985; 122: 51-65
- Sources of variance in 24-hour dietary recall data.Am J Clin Nutr. 1979; 32: 2546-2559
- Dietary vitamin A intake and the risk of mortality among children.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: 401-408
- This study was supported by The Thrasher Research Fund and Cooperative Agreement no. DAN-0045-A-5094 between the Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, and the Bureau of Research and Development, Office of Nutrition, US Agency for International Development, Washington DC, with assistance from Task Force Sight and Life, Hoffmann LaRoche, Basel, Switzerland.The authors thank Hamam Hadi, MD, PhD, Gadji Mada University, Jokjakarta, Indonesia, for assistance in obtaining English and scientific names for Indonesian foods.