Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Science. Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. Available at: http://www.iom.edu/report.asp?id=4253. Accessed December 30, 2004.
- An update on fluorides and fluorosis.J Can Dent Assoc. 2003; 69: 286-291
- Recommendations for using fluoride to prevent and control dental caries in the United States.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2001; 50: 1-42
- Healthy People 2010. 2nd ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2000
American Dental Association Council on Access, Prevention, and Interprofessional Relations Report. American Dental Association Supports Fluoridation. Updated November 22, 2002. Chicago, IL: American Dental Association. Available at: http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/fluoride3.asp?. Accessed August 3, 2005.
- Role of fluoride in oral health promotion.Int Dent J. 2000; 50: 119-128
- Fluorides and the prevention of dental decay.Br Dent J. 2000; 188: 654
- Policy statement.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: 1113-1116
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. National Academy Press, Washington, DC1997
- Prevalence and trends in enamel fluorosis in the United States from the 1930s to the 1980s.J Am Dent Assoc. 2002; 133: 157-165
- Fluoride in drinking water and risk of hip fracture in the UK.Lancet. 2000; 355: 265-269
- The associations between water-borne fluoride and bone mineral density in older adults.J Dent Res. 1998; 77: 1739-1748
- Water fluoridation, osteopososis, fractures—Recent developments.Aust Dent J. 2001; 46: 80-87
- A comprehensive review of treatments for postmenopausal osteoporosis.Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 2-12
- Effect of long-term exposure to fluoride in drinking water on risks of bone fractures.J Bone Miner Res. 2001; 16: 932-939
- Fluoride for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporotic fractures.Osteoporos Int. 2001; 11: 727-738
- Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. IX: Summary of meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis.Endocr Rev. 2002; 23: 570-578
- Bone metabolism and the perimenopause overview, risk factors, screening, and osteoporosis preventive measures.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2002; 29: 495-510
- Community water fluoridation, bone mineral density, and fractures.BMJ. 2000; 321: 860-864
- Scientific Advisory Council of the Osteoporosis Society of Canada. 2002 Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in Canada.CMAJ. 2002; 167: 1-34
- Effect of rallloxifene combined with monofluorophosphate as compared with monofluorophosphate alone in postmenopausal women with low bone mass.Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 741-749
US Department of Health and Human Services. Bone Health and Osteoporosis: A report of the Surgeon General. Available at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/bonehealth/content.html. Accessed February 25, 2005.
Office of the Surgeon General of the United States. Oral Health in America. Available at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/oralhealth/. Accessed February 25, 2005.
- Fluoridation and social equity.J Public Health Dent. 2002; 62: 195-200
- History of water fluoridation.J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003; 27: 213-217
- Fluoride.Gen Dent. 2002; 50: 118-126
- Relative effects of pre- and post-eruption water fluoride on caries experience by surface type of permanent first molars.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004; 32: 435-446
- Relative effects of pre- and posteruption water fluoride on caries experience of permanent first molars.J Public Health Dent. 2003; 63: 11-19
- Fluoride (F), an essential pre-eruptive nutrient.J Dent Res. 2002; 81: 516
- Topical fluoride (toothpastes, mouthrinses, gels or varnishes) for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 4 (CD002782)
- Fluoridation of drinking water, why is it needed?.Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim. 2004; 21 (103): 74-83
- Community fluoridation status and caries experience in children.J Public Health Dent. 2001; 61: 168-171
- Populations receiving optimally fluoridated public drinking water—United States, 2000.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 144-147
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Water Supply Statistics 2002. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nohss/FSSupplyStats.htm. Accessed June 23, 2005.
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Statement on Water Fluoridation. Available at: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInformation/OralHealthInformationIndex/Fluoride/WaterFluoridation.htm. Accessed February 25, 2005.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Promising Practices in Chronic Disease Prevention and Control: A Public Health Framework for Action. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/promising_practices/pdfs/Promising_Practices.pdf. Accessed June 23, 2005.
- Quantifying the diffused benefit from water fluoridation in the United States.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2001; 29: 120-129
- Fluoride ingestion and oral health.Nutrition. 2001; 17: 979-980
- Patterns of fluoride intake from birth to 36 months.J Public Health Dent. 2001; 61: 70-77
- American Dental Association Supports Fluoridation. American Dental Association, Chicago, IL1998
- Caries diagnosis and risk assessment.J Am Dent Assoc. 1995; 126: S1-S24
- Fluoride—Is it capable of fighting old and new dental diseases? An overview of existing fluoride compounds and their clinical applications.Caries Res. 2001; 35: S6-S9
- Fluoride toothpastes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 1: (CD002278)
- General dental practitioner advice regarding the use of fluoride toothpaste in two areas with a school-based milk fluoridation programme and one without such a programme.Br Dent J. 2002; 193: 529-533
- Fluoride varnishes.J Am Dent Assoc. 2000; 131: 589-596
- Changes in caries prevalence after implementation of a fluoride varnish program.J Public Health Dent. 2004; 64: 96-100
- Fluoride varnish for caries prevention.Special Care Dentis. 2003; 5: 180-186
- Caries reductions related to the use of fluorides.Int Dent J. 2002; 52: 315-320
- The role of fluoride mouthrinses in the control of dental caries.Pediatr Dent. 1998; 20: 101-104
- Primary tooth fluorosis and fluoride intake during the first year of life.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002; 30: 286-295
- The effects of water filtration systems on fluoride.J Dent Child. 2000; 67: 350-354
US Department of Agriculture. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard References. Available at: www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Fluoride/fluoride.pdf. Accessed July 25, 2005.
National Data Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. USDA National Fluoride Database of Selected Beverages and Foods. Available at: www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Fluoride/fluoride.pdf. Accessed February 25, 2005.
- Fluoride concentrations in bottled water.J Okla Dent Assoc. 2000; 91: 18-22
- Problems in exposure assessment of fluoride in drinking water.J Public Health Dent. 2004; 64: 45-49
- The fluoride content of foods and beverages from negligibly and optimally fluoridated communities.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002; 30: 382-391
- Fluoride intake and prevalence of dental fluorosis; trends in fluoride intake with special attention to infants.J Public Health Dent. 2000; 60: 131
- Fluoride content of infant formulas prepared with deionized, bottled mineral and fluoridated drinking water.J Dent Child. 2001; 68: 37-41
- Risk of enamel fluorosis in nonfluoridated and optimally fluoridated populations.J Am Dent Assoc. 2000; 131: 746
- Fluoride analysis of foods for infants and estimation of daily fluoride intake.Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2004; 45: 19-32
- Plaque fluoride concentrations are dependent on plaque calcium concentrations.Caries Res. 2002; 36: 256-265
- Fluoride concentrations of infant foods.J Am Dent Assoc. 1997; 128: 857-863
- Water and formula fluoride concentrations.Pediatr Dent. 1995; 17: 305-310
- Dental fluorosis.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2002; 13: 155-170
- Fluorosis.J Am Dent Assoc. 2002; 133: 1405-1407
- Occurrence and management of dental fluorosis.Int Dent J. 2001; 51: 325-333
- A comparison of the prevalence of fluorosis in 8-year-old children from seven European study sites using a standardized methodology.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004; 32: 28-33
- A review of fluoride dentifrice related to dental fluorosis.Pediatr Dent. 1999; 21: 265-271
- Risk factors for dental fluorosis.Pediatr Dent. 2000; 22: 269-277
American Dental Association. ADA Statement on FDA Toothpaste Warning Labels. Available at: www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/fluoride.asp. Accessed September 7, 2005.
- ADA Guide to Dental Therapeutics.American Dental Association, Chicago, IL1998
- The fluoridation war.J Public Health Dentistry. 1996; 56: 246-258
- Obstacles to extending fluoridation in the United States.Community Dent Health. 1996; 13: 10-20
- Position of the American Dietetic Association.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 615-625
- Current and future role of fluoride in nutrition.Dent Clin North Am. 2003; 47: 225-243
- Dietary determinants of dental caries and dietary recommendations for pre-school children.J Public Health Dent. 2000; 60: 197-206
- Systematic review of water fluoridation.BMJ. 2000; 321: 855-859